I will be the canary in the coal mine...for you (M2 Pro Mac Mini)

Please post the friends and family discount code :wink:

3 Likes

Well, I really wasn’t knocking SGC. Their products are fine. Maybe a little overpriced for what you get (certainly in comparison to a NUC or even a Mac Mini, but probably not compared to a Nucleus). They’re made in USA and the company is innovating with fibre optics as well as support for multiple software applications. But based on personal experience, I’m not thoroughly sold on the need to pay a premium price for a specialized music server for Roon Core. Depends on the user and the system I suppose.

2 Likes

Did not take it like that.
Anyway from US to Europe there are some $$ to add.

Was wondering the same thing, be interesting to see how it turns out. I have the 2014 mini and it’s good

I have an Intel NUC 12 with I5 processor +16 GB RAM with Windows 11 and some applications running. Team Viewer for example, also connected by HDMI to my TV and the CPU load is very low in the order of 3%. I think it has plenty of power. I am very happy.

After considering the options, and especially what you GET for what they cost (especially Roon’s NUC) I’ve decided to do the exact same thing. For me the shame would be wasting money on those other options. It will run only my Roon core and sit in my closet next to my switch out of the way. I checked with Roon support before ordering and they said it should be a solid approach. Finger’s crossed…

2 Likes

I had the same experience with my 2012 mini constantly crashing. Switching to Roon Server seems to have stopped this behavior. Now I’m wondering if the HDMI emulator will give it some more oomph.

Mine crashes constantly too (macmini m2 chip)… When you say you switched to roon server what does that mean?
Mike

The server version has no user interface. And you need a remote to use it.

1 Like

That’s way beyond my technical understanding I’m afraid…
Really fed up with the macmini… I want it to “just work”.
Mike

There are two ways to run roon on a Mac.

‘Integrated’ roon combines the server, and the gui in a single app.

But you can install the server and client separately. I guess if the gui is crashing this could help because the server may not have a problem.

You can down load the server app here (look further down the page)

Instructions for switching are here https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/faq-how-do-i-move-my-library-over-to-roonserver-how-do-i-run-headless

1 Like

OMG… I had no idea… this could be a game changer…
I have uninstalled the Roon core, installed server only, and configured via mobile phone app in about 5 minutes…
All seems to be working brilliantly so far!
Thank you so much, I am delighted.
Mike

4 Likes

but I would still like to point out that in General there is no problem with Roon on apple silicon. Im running my Roon core since a year on a M1 MacBook Air and I have absolutely no issues at all. but running Roon server is a option of course :wink: especially on a headless Mac mini.

2 Likes

As you can probably tell, I am happy to bow to your greater wisdom, but maybe the M2 Macmini is different?
It’s only been out for a few days after all.
Mike

Fingers crossed it keeps working!

plenty of people are running Roon on the M2 and M2 pro already. its basically the same cpu with higher clock speed and more efficiency cores than the M1.

1 Like

I will be getting a MacMini M2 pro in a few days.
My existing Roon Core, holding about 12K albums, should remain on 2012 Mini? It is direct connected via Thunderbolt to a Drobo.
Both Minis will be side by side. Based on above comments and experiences:
Mini M2 will will be then set up as Roon Server. There will be no need to run Time Machine? Server will have minimal applications. Therefore minimizing Spotlight activity etc. There will be no need to be connected to Drobo?
Is this a good strategy?. Also considering that 2012 Mini is glitchy, crashing with Roon, running sluggish when Drobo is connected but not when disconnected and only running Qobuz/Roon.
Not sure what previous comment meant about running HDMI emulator?

1 Like

I do run Time machine, manually, always quit roon (and all the other apps). I do run TM before an osx upgrade so if anythings go wrong I can roll back.

You should be more than fine with this new machine. Except someone who is really into upsampling to DSD 512 with convolution filters engaged (that’s not me, and I haven’t tested it) I am not sure there is a Roon scenario this machine isn’t powerful enough to handle, with room to spare. Especially when you are just running Roon Server on it.

From 44.1:
m2 might do 512 with roon. 256DoP with convolution/speaker setup on m1 mini and roon is at 4x. HQP is another story, m1 stops at some/many filters on 256.