Icons in tracklist

@support
Can’t find anywhere what the icons (eg weird padlocky looking thing) mean in the tracklist when in [Album] view. Surely it shouldn’t be so hard to find out what the symbols on a GUI mean?

I’m not sure what it is that your describing, but it could the microphone icon (sometime with a “dot” by it).

If so, it means there are lyrics available to view for that track, and if there is an extra “dot” realtime lyrics are available.

I might be way off the mark here, could you post a screenshot to illustrate what you are seeing?

PS maybe this helps https://kb.roonlabs.com/Displays

PPS I agree a glossary of the icons would be useful, ideally from the Roon application itself or failing that as a page in the RKB.

I think the “padlock” symbol the OP is referring to is the composition counter beside the track. In principle the counter tells you how many versions or covers you have of a work or song. If you have a Tidal subscription, the symbol doubles and then you will see how many versions you have locally and how many on Tidal.

in principle, also, If you click on the symbol it will take you to a “composition” page with a bio of the history of the composition and a list of different versions and covers you can access. This is one of roon’s most underused but interesting features. However, it is very dependent on the quality of the underlying metadata and may require a great deal of manual editing and grooming of your library to exploit it fully. Otherwise you may find the feature disappointing with many dead and incomplete links.

2 Likes

That’s a common problem with icons. :slightly_smiling_face: When chosen in the design process the context is pretty clear and the meaning seems obvious. But now and then and especially if one’s not so familiar with that context it’s not clear at all.

For local music I interpret the icon like this: it’s intended to resemble a record or disc :cd: and the counter overlay below it and covering the record a little (or obstructing its recognition) could get interpreted as an album cover.

I couldn’t find the icon and its meaning explained in the Roon Guide - is there a page for the album details view at all? Maybe that would help. Or some KB page with all icons explained - icon meanings are a regular topic, it seems.

Thanks all for the feedback. But crazy I think for there not to be a page somewhere describing all the icons. Tony-Casey: Yes it could be a wonderful feature. Imagine playing through all the versions of your favourite song/nocturne/.

Still - after years - there’s no roon icon guide available, am I right? I am a newbee here, and cannot believe that there’s barely any guideline for this…

2 Likes

Welcome to the Roon community, Michael :slight_smile:

Some icons you can turn on/off here - and you also see an explanation:

Goto “Settings”, “Customize album display” and check it out. For other icons you can make a screenshot and ask the community. And there’s also the Help Center and the Knowledge Base:

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/home

But I agree - it can sometimes be cumbersome to understand everything in Roon at the beginning.

1 Like

Hey @Michael_Putz,

Thanks so much for reviving this thread. Since it was not in the feature request category, we lost track of it.

Also, welcome to the Roon community (13 days too late…) :wave:

@Oliver_Stettner shared a perfect overview of where things stand now and what are the best resources available. Thank you!

Please, let me know if we can help at all. In the meantime, I’ve moved this thread in the Feature Request category so it gets the attention it needs :blush:

Is there a way to remove the track icons? Specifically, I’d like to remove the lyrics icon next to each track to keep things cleaner.

1 Like

Hi @roon1293,

No that’s not possible.

Where do we request this feature?

At the top of this topic, place your vote.