ID41 card / 861v8 loses "lock" to Roon

At the very least it is a nice excuse for a drink in NYC.

@Mr_Meridian Hi George, are you up to date with Sooloos? If so then the ID40 should also be up to date?

Cheers

Russ

hahahah… NYC or Paris, anytime – just let me know. :smile:

@rolski Your problem is similar to one I’ve never got to the bottom of with my MS200. The Sooloos side of things never missed a beat, but Roon kept losing the MS200. I cured it by taking offline a hard-wired Airport Express that was acting as a Roaming Network, extending the AirPort Extreme that acts as my Router. Once I had only the AirPort Extreme running wifi, everything was fine. I still don’t know why.

@Ratbert Hi Russ, I don’t have any other Sooloos kit, just the ID40, so there’s no pre-existing update route.

I’m heading a bit off topic with this now, so will take it over to HH’s!

Cheers

George

I posted this update about 2 weeks ago. The situation hasn’t changed since then:

Firmware version 163 (the latest public release) does contain connectivity related fixes–they fixed a crash in the endpoint firmware. They sent it to me shortly prior to releasing it to confirm that a particular issue was fixed (it was).

I very much recommend running the latest firmware–it does make a difference.

We have spent a lot of time running down issues with Meridian streaming (even if it doesn’t seem that way, because a lot of it has happened offline in collaboration with our alpha testers, most of which are Meridian users, and not in public on this forum). Everything that we have been able to reproduce in-house has been either fixed on our end, or reported in detail to Meridian so they can address issues on their side.

One last thing: Build 29 of Roon contained no changes directly pertaining to Meridian streaming. Any behavior change that coincided with that build is likely to be environmental, or performance related.

I hope this gets worked out soon.

1 Like

The answer from Meridian tech support is not encouraging:

*Thank you for getting in touch with Meridian.

Sorry, but the only way to receive firmware updates to your MS600 would be to connect it to a network that includes a Meridian ‘Core’ product.*

I followed up by asking if there are plans on the roadmap for allowing firmware updates without a Sooloos core – and if I can put in a formal request for doing so if there isn’t. We’ll see, I guess.

@RBM Sounds like the stock answer, obviously there is another way as mentioned.

Russ

We’ll see if there’s any statement about future options. That – or get @danny really drunk.

Follow-up: in answer to my request:

If we believe this is something that would be beneficial to Meridian customers, then I would like to think it would be considered in the future. I will definitely make sure I pass your feedback on.

I guess it will not hurt if others in same situation make their voices heard @ Meridian support.

1 Like

@RBM
+1

There is a “Maintenance” USB socket on the card, and I’m sure Meridian don’t connect every card that’s manufactured to a full Sooloos system in order to perform updates…

Message sent via the Meridian website : https://www.meridian-audio.com/contact-us/

i contributed to the cause a little while ago with similar message from Meridian support.

However, as you can see in that topic in a post from @danny there is hope…

I’m sure someone will soon enough reverse engineer this stuff… it’s not hard. The Hitchhikers are a pretty resourceful group…

It indeed looked pretty nifty with the stagings. Worth a look. :slight_smile:

That is a can of worms you don’t want to open!

@gmt Agreed, much better to request the capability through the Meridian contact email channel.

Russ

While figuring out the manual updating process will probably not that hard, obtaining and distributing the firmware itself will lead to all kinds of copyright/legal issues.

I think for now it’s best to make sure M is well aware of the need for this.

I’ve emailed M to request support for this.

Cheers

George

Am getting some great feedback from Meridian support guru Des

Indeed, but a QNAP costs…?
This is all true, and certainly an option, but I already have 2 NAS’s that I’m quite happy with : they’re expecting me to buy (and configure) yet another ?!
I also have a USB cable, costing zero £’s, which I can shove straight in the back of the ID41…