ID41 card / 861v8 loses "lock" to Roon

The answer from Meridian tech support is not encouraging:

*Thank you for getting in touch with Meridian.

Sorry, but the only way to receive firmware updates to your MS600 would be to connect it to a network that includes a Meridian ‘Core’ product.*

I followed up by asking if there are plans on the roadmap for allowing firmware updates without a Sooloos core – and if I can put in a formal request for doing so if there isn’t. We’ll see, I guess.

@RBM Sounds like the stock answer, obviously there is another way as mentioned.

Russ

We’ll see if there’s any statement about future options. That – or get @danny really drunk.

Follow-up: in answer to my request:

If we believe this is something that would be beneficial to Meridian customers, then I would like to think it would be considered in the future. I will definitely make sure I pass your feedback on.

I guess it will not hurt if others in same situation make their voices heard @ Meridian support.

1 Like

@RBM
+1

There is a “Maintenance” USB socket on the card, and I’m sure Meridian don’t connect every card that’s manufactured to a full Sooloos system in order to perform updates…

Message sent via the Meridian website : https://www.meridian-audio.com/contact-us/

i contributed to the cause a little while ago with similar message from Meridian support.

However, as you can see in that topic in a post from @danny there is hope…

I’m sure someone will soon enough reverse engineer this stuff… it’s not hard. The Hitchhikers are a pretty resourceful group…

It indeed looked pretty nifty with the stagings. Worth a look. :slight_smile:

That is a can of worms you don’t want to open!

@gmt Agreed, much better to request the capability through the Meridian contact email channel.

Russ

While figuring out the manual updating process will probably not that hard, obtaining and distributing the firmware itself will lead to all kinds of copyright/legal issues.

I think for now it’s best to make sure M is well aware of the need for this.

I’ve emailed M to request support for this.

Cheers

George

Am getting some great feedback from Meridian support guru Des

Indeed, but a QNAP costs…?
This is all true, and certainly an option, but I already have 2 NAS’s that I’m quite happy with : they’re expecting me to buy (and configure) yet another ?!
I also have a USB cable, costing zero £’s, which I can shove straight in the back of the ID41…

Which was almost word for word my reply to Des, than and suggesting creating a docker vm that runs on both brands of NAS. :smile: As I have 2 Nas’s from the opposite brand as well.

I do think the first paragraph is promising, it is not just the Qnap route they are taking, he is leaving the direct update one open.

I think Meridian will see that someone who spends £10,000 on an 808 to use with Roon will still need supporting. That shouldn’t mean buying a QNAP and installing an otherwise redundant Sooloos core to make fw updates happen. Logic will prevail.

3 Likes

@rovinggecko @ncpl @Ratbert
Solution : we start a crowdfunding project to buy each of our dealers a QNAP ! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

…or someone should poke at their MS200 and Sooloos just figure out how Sooloos does it. It’s very simple :slight_smile:

By the way…

…now on the 4th day since I’ve updated my ID41 card to r163 with no drop-outs / disconnects whatsoever.

Also, my MSR+ now “speaks” to Roon too : I can play / pause / stop / skip forwards & backwards - which I wasn’t able to do before the update.

Somehow I doubt that this much-improved situation is a coincidence - so respect & thanks to Meridian & all others involved.

Congratulations!