ID41 card / 861v8 loses "lock" to Roon

It indeed looked pretty nifty with the stagings. Worth a look. :slight_smile:

That is a can of worms you don’t want to open!

@gmt Agreed, much better to request the capability through the Meridian contact email channel.

Russ

While figuring out the manual updating process will probably not that hard, obtaining and distributing the firmware itself will lead to all kinds of copyright/legal issues.

I think for now it’s best to make sure M is well aware of the need for this.

I’ve emailed M to request support for this.

Cheers

George

Am getting some great feedback from Meridian support guru Des

Indeed, but a QNAP costs…?
This is all true, and certainly an option, but I already have 2 NAS’s that I’m quite happy with : they’re expecting me to buy (and configure) yet another ?!
I also have a USB cable, costing zero £’s, which I can shove straight in the back of the ID41…

Which was almost word for word my reply to Des, than and suggesting creating a docker vm that runs on both brands of NAS. :smile: As I have 2 Nas’s from the opposite brand as well.

I do think the first paragraph is promising, it is not just the Qnap route they are taking, he is leaving the direct update one open.

I think Meridian will see that someone who spends £10,000 on an 808 to use with Roon will still need supporting. That shouldn’t mean buying a QNAP and installing an otherwise redundant Sooloos core to make fw updates happen. Logic will prevail.

3 Likes

@rovinggecko @ncpl @Ratbert
Solution : we start a crowdfunding project to buy each of our dealers a QNAP ! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

…or someone should poke at their MS200 and Sooloos just figure out how Sooloos does it. It’s very simple :slight_smile:

By the way…

…now on the 4th day since I’ve updated my ID41 card to r163 with no drop-outs / disconnects whatsoever.

Also, my MSR+ now “speaks” to Roon too : I can play / pause / stop / skip forwards & backwards - which I wasn’t able to do before the update.

Somehow I doubt that this much-improved situation is a coincidence - so respect & thanks to Meridian & all others involved.

Congratulations!

Okay, I am having the same problem with my newly acquired ID41 - for some reason it only have the 135 firmware on it. Now, the only issue is that in Australia I have no support at the moment, and Meridian is not helping. Has anyone thought of a solution yet? :smile: a VPN perhaps for one of the friendly dealers? :smile:

Fundamentally, you either have to send your card to someone to be updated, or you need to add (borrow) a “Sooloos Core device” to your network.
The update takes less than a minute, so it’s all a phenomenal PITA…

Try asking around on the Meridian Unplugged forums… I think there are unofficial solutions to this problem floating around.

No one is forthcoming with any solution yet from HH :smiley: - do you know of any? :smiley: I guess it is not bad enough at the moment - but it is causing a little of annoyance.

@sparoz send me the card and I will plug it into my 861 and update it for you, no charge just postage costs.

Russ

Thanks Russ for the kind offer and much appreciated :D. Sending the card to the UK is not exactly cheap - and a MC200 may be a good option as I am looking for more endpoints for my new house - just seems a bit redundant. You have just prompted me to see if there are any friendly Meridian Sooloos user near me :).

@sparoz That is definitely the way to go, I have just updated a friends ID40, it took 5 minutes, the Local Meridian dealer refused to do it! So a friend is your best option. An MC200 purchase as an endpoint is expensive, an MS200 would give you the same quality at a quarter of the price.

Russ