Ideal Core for 337k tracks?

Thanks!! This is really helpful. I can’t explain the issues I was having with the QNAP – I used it only for Roon, and I did no signal processing. And yet after a couple of days all the Roon Controls would get very, very slow. Then when the QNAP was rebooted all would be good again, for a little while.

In any event, I now have my Nucleus+ up and running. Migrating to it was extremely simple, as you’d expect. I’m still storing most of my music on the QNAP, although since I had a 500GB SSD in the QNAP to run the Roon Core I decided to move that drive into the Nucleus+ and stored my most frequently listened to music there. I doubt it makes a difference, but I just wanted to give it a shot.

The Nucleus+ was a little slow at first, but today I installed an additional 8GB of RAM and it’s made a big difference.

And based on everyone’s advice I am continuing to send music to the UltraDAC over the network using the Sooloos protocol – works great!

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice. What a great community!

[Moderated] There must be 3 or 4 firmware updates in the last 101 days…u don’t update???

My guess is that your import or analysis finished, as that is a very resource intensive task

The extra RAM should allow a larger library to not crash. It should not impact performance at all. It’s just not how we use RAM.

No – the import and analysis had finished but it was still slow – much slower than when the Roon Core was running on the QNAP.

23 posts were split to a new topic: 250k Albums on Nucleus+? (correction: 25k)

Now I’m set up nicely with SOTM -sms200 neo, S Booster power supply , SOTM cat 7 audiophile Ethernet to my DAC and system I was considering a Nucleus +. I’m a little put off though that given the significant cost of the Nucleus for what it is, you had to still add RAM and until then it was slower than the QNAP. I currently store my music in a QNAP NAS and figured I’d connect the QNAP to the Nucleus. I am prepared to spend the money but can someone please help convince why the Nucleus would improve the functioning of my set up assuming that my QNAP is powerful enough for library. Around 1800 albums, 300 dsd albums plus Tidal.

It’s a one box silent system designed to run Roon as effectively and efficiently as possible without any computer knowledge. Plug it in and go. Yes I am also put off by the cost and can’t justify it. You can build your own fanless pc for far less and install ROCK to run it so you get the same efficiency as the Nucleus but without the extra home control features as they are unique to the Nucleus. It sounds like your better of keeping what you have as yihr likely to not gain anything from it.

It is what it is. If you need to be convinced then you don’t need it, you just _want_it! Nucleus is for those who are happy to spend that money to avoid performing cartwheels to make Linux work. It is a tool designed to simplify what is essentially computer audio, for people who don’t like computers. As an item of hifi you will pay more up front but it’ll hold its value better than the equivalent NUC. As for the rest, you know what Roon does.

2 Likes