Identify album - Blank window after manually selecting an unidentified album [Improvements Released]

This is on both pc and ipad, with a QNAP core, build 814
After clicking on unidentified and manually selecting an album from the list after suggesting search terms, when trying to help Roon identify an album (eg Preston - Bach organ), I get a blank window with just two buttons at the bottom (None of these look right and Back), whereas previously I would get detailed track listings to match my tracks to.
I listed this in Metadata issues a month ago and have been advised that a move here will get a more timely response.
Many thanks

Hi @Mark_Bowell

Can you share some screenshots of what you’re seeing?

Does this happen for all albums, or just certain ones?

I click on “Unidentified”

Then “Identify album”, which gives no results so I enter search terms

and select the correct album (2nd row)

I get this blank screen whichever of the previous rows I choose.

I have the same problem with all my unidentified pieces, but they have in common that they are parts of an album, not the whole. If I click identify album on an album that Roon has automatically found, and reselect any album, I can get through to the tracks fine. If I choose that “successful” album as the answer to match the unidentified album as featured in the screenshots, I get the same blank screen without tracks.

Many thanks

Mark

Thanks for the screenshots @Mark_Bowell. I just tried to identify an album as the Simon Preston Bach: Organ Works example you provided and it worked okay for me.

There are a couple of possibilities here — Maybe your Core is having trouble reaching our servers to get this data, or maybe there’s a display issue on this remote.

Do you have a different remote that you can try as a test? Does the same issue occur?

Yes, I have tried using an ipad and pc as remote and for both the behaviour is identical with the same issue.

Thanks, @Mark_Bowell. Can you please use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs from the Core using a shared Dropbox link (or any other file sharing service)? We’ll take a look at what’s happening here.

I’ve created a logs zip folder but am hoping you can create somewhere for me to upload it as I don’t use dropbox or equivalent - I’ve sent you a message.
By the way, the problem isn’t uploading the track information - if I take an old album that Roon automatically identified and use edit - identify album then manually search on preston - bach organ, I can select the right album AND see the track information to match my tracks to. There is something about the matching with the unidentified albums that is creating the problem.

I responded to the PM. Thanks!

I still have the same problem on both pc and ipad with build 831.

Hey @Mark_Bowell,

We’re so sorry the issue has returned and that we only got the opportunity to reply to your post today…

I was wondering, when the issue returned now, are the symptoms identical? Different? Whatever you can share with us, we’d love to hear it :pray:

The issue never went away. Nothing has changed. The symptoms remain identical. I still have the same problem on pc remote build 831, ipad remote build 831, with build 850 running on the QNAP core.

Hi @Mark_Bowell ,

Thanks for letting us know that this issue is still ongoing. I wanted to touch base with some good news, we’ve been able to reproduce this issue on our end and we have submitted a ticket for the team to look into this further!

Great - thanks for the update. I look forward to the fix!

I still have the same problem on both pc and ipad with build 882.

Also with build 884.

I’m having the same problem with build 884 on my PC.

Hi @Mark_Bowell ,

We are still working on this issue, it is in the queue but work on this has not begun yet. I wish I could share a more specific timeline, but I cannot comment when it will be part of the development cycle. Thank you in advance for your patience.

1 Like

Roon Core Machine

ROCK Roon Core 1.8 B884

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Wired

Connected Audio Devices

A number of endpoints

Number of Tracks in Library

97k tracks

Description of Issue

In trying to rebuild my Roon Core database following the failed B880 update, losing my previous B831 version, I am having to reidentify all the Albums that Roon doesn’t.

On this one

When trying to identify, I get this

When I try and enter the details manually, I then get this

So I know the metadata for this recording is there

But when I try and apply

Just a blank screen.

This album was identified correctly in my B831 based database

The underlying metadata is correct as it appears in Asset UPnP server correctly.

Sorry for having to raise this, but I am one of the 74 who was affected by the ‘latent corruption’ within my Roon Core database, present over the last 6-years, as I have been a user since the 1.0 release (actually the original Beta in 2015) and now been forced to ‘start afresh’ with a new build, as there are no tools or recovery solution available for the issue discovered re. database corruption and the fact it had been allowed to prevail in all Backups taken by Roon.
I would like to try and get my Library back to where it was before, with B831,and so far this rebuild process has so-far taken about 4-days of my time, since the 21st December, to just get back to where I was.

I have occasionally encountered identical screens recently (as in the last month or maybe two), along with statements on the Roon screen that my internet connection is off!. When I fill in some search criteria it immediately executes the search however.

So you are not alone.

I get the impression that when it seems too difficult it makes excuses!!

Hi @simon_pepper,

Thank you for your question. Actually, it does look like Roon is successfully recognizing your album.

Once you click the correct Karajan selection it should allow you to compare tracks on the disc. The one shown is the canonical release for this title and is fully annotated in our metadata database.

I just tried to recreate the blank identification issue in Roon and wasn’t able to do so. What type of remote are you using to connect to your ROCK core? We’ve seen generic Windows graphics drivers return empty pages like this. Could you try restarting ROCK and ensure that you’re using the manufacturer’s drivers for your graphics card if you’re using Windows?