Identifying albums from TOC

I have an album with no file tags and no useful containing folder name. I have no idea what the album actually is.

Roon does not even attempt to identify it from TOC. Even hitting “Identify This Album” manually gets me no-where at all.

Is this really right?

Do the file names for the individual tracks give any clue?

You could Shazam it, but it’s not so good on Classical.

That’s not my point.

My point is that Roon is purposefully not identifying the album, despite having TOC information. I don’t understand this decision at all!

What are you basing this on? I don’t think you can conclusively say matching wasn’t attempted, just because a match wasn’t found :wink:

I just took a FLAC album, converted it to WAV, wiped all the tags and file names (leaving only the track numbers that would be required for a TOC – 01.wav, 02.wav, etc) and imported it – it identified as I would expect.

Maybe the content is just too obscure? I would be interested to see if Shazam gets it, actually.

Excuse my extreme ignorance, but what’s a TOC?

Table of contents – in this context, it’s a list of the track timings on the original CD, which sort of functions like a unique fingerprint for the album.

It’s one factor Roon uses to match a folder of tracks to the albums in our database, but in this case we’re going to rely on it – a folder of WAV files with no tags or identifying information doesn’t give us a lot of other clues to go on.

[quote=“mike, post:5, topic:8909”]I don’t think you can conclusively say matching wasn’t attempted, just because a match wasn’t found :wink:
[/quote]
I take it all back. I made an error. :scream:

I still have faith! :innocent:

1 Like

Thanks @mike - I have come across TOC in other contexts. A few of my albums failed to identify automatically because of slight differences in length for some tracks. A database search picked them up, but I guess this isn’t an option with no other data.

@Ludwig Have you got a friendly local record shop you could play some of the tracks to to see if they recognise the recording?