If Soft Shutdown = Watched folders "disconnect"

By the way, I’m eyeing the 5TB version. Is it recommended to just reformat it to exFAT? I should probably make sure it mentions it’s compatible with the OS I’ll be using to reformat it…

Thanks.

If you want storage compatibility than, yes, use exFAT.

You might also reference, it should hold true for the Nucleus: https://kb.roonlabs.com/ROCK:_Storage_Basics

Note: storage compatibility means being able to plug the drive into a Mac or PC machine, copy the music onto the drive, and then plug it into the Nucleus and be good to go.

1 Like

Thanks, Daniel

I have a question. Below are the specs for the drive I’d probably get. Here’s the link: https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/portable-drives/wd-my-passport-usb-3-0-hdd#WDBPKJ0050BBK-WESN

The computer OS I’ll use to reformat it, would be Windows 7. Will I be able to reformat it?
Also, should I be concerned about the specs from “Interface”? I don’t want to run into the problem that I’m having with my current drive, that I have to force a rescan everytime I turn off/turn on the Nucleus+.

Thanks.

Full Specifications:

Capacity

5 TB

Interface

USB 3.2 Gen 1

Compatibility

Windows® 10 or Windows 8.1 operating systems. Requires reformatting for other operating systems.

Dimensions (L x W x H)

4.22" x 2.95" x 0.75"

In The Box

•Portable hard drive
•SuperSpeed USB cable
•WD Discovery™ software
•Quick install guide

I have yet, another question, sorry:

What to do about the software that comes with the WD My Passport?

Since I’ll be reformatting it to exFAT.

Does Roonlabs staff keep the software installed, or do they delete when reformatting to exFAT, and never install it again?

Thanks.

I"m not staff, but, I just blow it away. Those utilities can always be downloaded if needed later
from the manufacturer website. And is, imho, opinion, a better way to go, because then you’ll be getting the latest updated version of the software.

1 Like

Thanks, Daniel. Yes, I was including you as part of the staff :slight_smile:

So, I’ll just reformat it to exFAT. (In case I get a different OS computer in the future), and forget about the software that comes with the drive.

Do you use it “in-listening-room”? Just wondering about the acoustic noise. I have a feeling you got the HDD version of WD My Passports.

Thanks.

Well, I keep my Roon server in the basement, so, I don’t have it in main living area.

Really; the only load you’d put on them is during the initial copy anyway. Streaming individual tracks from them during playback, is not going to stress them, even for large DSD files.

I have one in my office, on a shelf less than 10 inches from my left ear and it is silent except for a split second when the drives wake out of sleep.

1 Like

Sweet. Thanks, Daniel.

Let me see if I place an order for 1, ASAP.

I’ll report back, when I get it up and running.

Thanks.

Ok, I am happy to report that the WD My Passport is perfect for my silent needs.

Thank you, @Rugby for the recommendation, and thank you @dylan for guiding with the troubleshooting.

Aaahh, yes. Now, the fun begins. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.