iFi iDAC2 and DietPi

@xxx :slight_smile: :grin:

I am using native DSD on all of my iFi Dacā€™s
@dabassgoesboomboom are you having issues?

Hi Fernando

Yes, light pops and crackles with Native DSD256 with latest DietPi, RPi3, with the iDAC2

:cry:

Is this an issue of the shared USB and ethernet bus of the RPi3?

Iā€™m using BJC Cat 6 direct to the modem, where the i7 Core is also connected

@dabassgoesboomboom To my understanding this is a bug on the Kernel and Alsa. What is your kernel version?

1 Like

Oh. Iā€™ll copy Harry also because before trying DietPi I had the same issue with his RoPieee image @spockfish

4.9.39-2 ?

yep, 4.9.39 and Iā€™ve got a 4.9.40 which will be released this weekend.

Do you have a pointer to this bug? If itā€™s a known issue I can patch it.

If youā€™re talking about the issue that causes a ā€˜popā€™ at the beginning of DSD playing: thatā€™s already patched in RoPieeeā€™s kernel.

Thanks,

1 Like

@spockfish I dont have the info in front of me and I am at work. I do have notes at my house.

2 Likes

Thanks Harry and Fernando.

Hopefully this leads to a solution so I can stop crying :cry:

So much popping and crackling itā€™s like listening to vinylā€¦

Runs for coverā€¦ :running_man:

1 Like

I also just checked now and my iDAC2 is running the latest firmware version 5.2

I get crackles and pops with PCM384kHz upsampling too, not only native DSD256.

And by-passing DietPi and RoPieee and going direct from my Surface Pro 4 Win10 to the iDAC2, I get no crackles and no pops with native DSD256 or PCM384.

No crackles or pops for me, on either iDAC or iDSD with any res and using DietPi.

1 Like

Second that.

@dabassgoesboomboom You mentioned a modem but what exactly is the network configuration here? If itā€™s working at DSD128 / 192k and itā€™s not the shared bus issue, that leaves network throughput as the most likely culprit. Have you had glitch free operation at high bitrates on this same network with other devices?

Probably obvious, just thinking out loud. :slight_smile: If by modem you mean one of those cheap gateway/router combos from the cable company, I could see something like that being not quite robust enough to sustain flawless & simultaneous in/out streams of this size.

He meant router, I think. I agree, better to hang everything off a switch except for one connection back at router.

1 Like

Hi gents

Can it be a network issue if I by-pass the RPiā€™s , and Surface Pro 4 (as an ethernet endpoint) direct to iDAC2 is no issues at native DSD256?

Same network had no issues with DSD512 with my previous iDSD BL either :sleepy: But that wasnā€™t used with an RPi endpoint - I used my Surface Pro 4 as the endpoint.

Iā€™ve run Lan Speed Test transferring a 2gb file as the test and itā€™s a 900mbps connection.

Can someone kindly post screenshots of their DietPi config screen settings , like audio options, performance options etc. So I can copy those settings to make sure I havenā€™t tweaked something I shouldnā€™t have?

And can you guys with an iDAC2 kindly help by running Harryā€™s RoPieee Touchscreen beta image (you donā€™t need the screen for it to be an endpoint though) and see if you get crackling with native DSD256?

If Harry was nearby Iā€™d give him my iDAC2 to test but heā€™s in the NL and Iā€™m Down Under lol

Latest Ropieee Touchscreen beta image is here:
http://image.ropieee.org/ropieee-beta-20170712.img

Would be greatly appreciated if anyone could help to reproduce this

Iā€™ve done nothing to my DietPi image, but to install Roon bridge and set the output to USB.

Try reinstalling DietPi and do just that and see if problems are resolved.

Hehe yes since this is a global forum whenever I mention the old man I usually make sure to include ā€œmy dadā€ in brackets afterwards.

Yeh I did that. I previously had CPU power save enabled under performance options. I disabled that. I now get maybe 3 or 4 pops in a track. Significantly less than before but not gone :cry:

Are you 100% pop free with native DSD256? Like not one pop, ever?

Itā€™s only noticeable on quiet passages but once I hear it Iā€™m always waiting for the next little pop. You wonā€™t hear it blasting Metalica for sure.

As mentioned, with the Windows ethernet endpoint (using the sams ethernet cable that feeds the RPi3 to hookup the Surface Pro 4, with a USB adapter) and using iFiā€™s Asio drivers, not a single snap, crackle and pop. Must be the RPi3 then, but I canā€™t figure why.

Yeah, I am pop free during music playback. The only time I get a pop is when an album first starts, but I think thatā€™s because Iā€™m using powered speakers.

No worries. I hope if Fernando or Lorin have a spare 20 minutes over the weekend they could help test the Ropieee beta image I posted above.

Just to see if it can be reproduced.

Similar problems to here with the small pops with RPi USB output: