iFi iDAC2 and DietPi

Ok after disabling CPU powersave in DietPi and doing what the above guy did and rebooting my core (core has been on days) small pops have seemingly gone with DietPi with native DSD256.

So I switched DietPi for Ropieee beta and the much louder pops came back again. There’s nothing I can tweak with Ropieee though. And yes I rebooted the Pi3 and core, for consistency. @spockfish

Would be great if an iDAC2 owner can try this Ropieee image to check with Native DSD256 upsampling that I’m not going insane

http://image.ropieee.org/ropieee-beta-20170712.img

@Tech_Whisky_Lab @lorin if you have a spare 20 mins this weekend to test . The touchscreen is not necessary. Just head to ropieee.local/ after it’s properly downloaded and self installed all components.

@dabassgoesboomboom,

Up until now I never had the need to do something on performance tuning, but this might be the time :wink:

So I can tweak this in the RoPieee beta channel, and then you can test if it makes a difference.

1 Like

Cheers Harry. Would love to test as much as possible to get this working.

See if you can disable anything that may limit USB and/or CPU performance.

Unleash the power lol

update has been pushed out to the beta channel.

Thanks. Apart from listening with my ears for changes, is there another way I can know that I got this new update? A new version number?

yes. it should show up as ‘ropieee 20170812-2’ in the ‘information’ tab on RoPieee’s web page.

Thanks Harry, will test after a quick feed.

@spockfish Running the latest beta now, including kernel 4.9.40-2 and still getting small pops throughout with native DSD256

It’s better than previous Ropieee but not what I was just getting with DietPi a couple hours ago. A small pop every 30 seconds or so.

Can you disable anything else that may limit USB/ethernet performance? Or running out of options?

Are you running this on a unit with touchscreen?

Yes. Touchscreen is on.

ok… can you please try this out without the touchscreen?

So use the same beta Touchscreen image, but just unplug the power to the screen?

yeah let’s try that.

Still some pops.

the 2nd half of Damien Rice - sleep don’t weep. There’s nowhere for pops to hide.

With upsampling to PCM192, = no pops.

PCM384 has some pops. Less than DSD256 but with this quiet track or any quiet track it still sticks out like dog’s bollocks unfortunately

These small pops can’t hide on the first half of Tears For Fears - Famous Last Words, either :sleepy:

bummer. can’t think of a reason why this should be different with dietpi. have you overclocked things?

Nope, never overclocked anything in my life.

With more of the uptempo stuff I listen to, the pops are easily masked.

But they can’t hide at extended quiet parts of songs.

It’s better than RoPieee was yesterday though, a clear and definite improvement with whatever you’ve disabled/tweaked. Let me do more listening tomorrow.

@dabassgoesboomboom for humor, Install this OS: http://moodeaudio.org/
Older versions are free.

once you do, Install the bridge via ssh. Report back.

Also, What is the the firmware version on your iFi device?

1 Like

To absolutely sure it would be great if you can test this with RoPieee’s stable build.

1 Like