I'm completely sold on MQA. Thank God for the Bob Stuarts of this world

Mate, you can’t be serious. Just have a look on the Steve Hoffman forums for details. There are a ton of different masters for these albums. I personally have 4 different masters of the Ked Zep albums, and I probably don’t have half of the different re-cuts that have been released, never mind the different in-country masters that were used.

1 Like

There may be crossed wires between a remixed and remastered album here?

Possibly a semantics issue yes. But we know from studying the waveforms of these re-mixed albums that they get different levels of compression and brick-walling applied along with various other eq-tweaks. The net effect is the same: you aren’t listening to like-for-like.

Remember @WiWavelength did some straw-polling of MQA vs non-MQA on a random selection of albums and found 3 out of 5 were different masters (a small sample, I know). There are many versions and re-issues of these iconic albums knocking about, I just think it makes them terrible example to pick when there’s such a low degree of certainty that apples are being compared with apples.

No I’m not kidding “Mate”!
Not when it’s coming to the Real Musician’s or the Real Music Band/Groups!
If you have that you write, so is it bootlegs etc…

Whose Group didn’t even release their Albums, with different covers/sleeves in different countries or continents!

Have a great day and I will not spend anymore time on this discussion!
Because it’s not about MQA and that @Flashman discovery, that drums sound more realistic on a certain Album!
So I only gave him a tip on Albums with great and realistic sounds drums…

Okay Mate.

Love & Respect

2 Likes

@Anders_Strengberg Thanks for the tip, Anders. I’ll give them a listen.

Cheers, Flashman a.k.a. Michael

Excuse Me! But are you serious?

anon55914447

Possibly a semantics issue yes. But we know from studying the waveforms of these re-mixed albums that they get different levels of compression and brick-walling applied along with various other eq-tweaks. The net effect is the same: .you aren’t listening to like-for-like

You write: You aren’t listening to like-for like!!! How many people here on Roon and all other people who listen, to music! Do you think like you?
You aren’t listening to like-for-like???

Remember WiWavelength did some straw-polling of MQA vs non-
MQA on a random selection of albums and found 3 out of 5 were different masters (a small sample, I know). There are many versions and re-issues of these iconic albums knocking about, I just think it makes them terrible example to pick when there’s such a low degree of certainty that apples are being compared with apples.

So you anon55914447 and WiWavelength.

Are Music Scientists?
(Or Scientist Of Recorded Music Albums)!

For my own interest does you use Protools Music Program, with different kinds of plugins? So you can see that is a different version of the same record? I have only used it for recording, mixing and mastering!
But when I use it to mastering, I can use different plugins for example to see that the stereo image isn’t wider, so it “gets out of the frame”!
Also how the EQ looks in the one of many spectrum Analysis!
But if you use it, so does you knowing all about this and even if you’re using some other kinds of programs! So is the plugins almost the same, right?
But maybe you are using some of the different versions of the 2 channel program’s, so you can get the waveforms really large to notice/seeing and compare a couple of different versions of a hole Album, or only one song!
Because there you can recording one song or a hole Album.
Well depending on the size of the screen and how many different versions of one song or Album, you are using to compare excuse me! Of course shall it be when you are studying the waveforms of these re-mixed albums that they get different levels of compression and brick-walling applied along with various other eq-tweaks.
In whose Programs so can you easily notified the difference between waveforms! Also as you write the different levels of compression, from the different versions! The various other eq-tweaks? I suppose that you use different Spectrum Analysis or Analytics Program’s to noticing, these difference, or? I must ask you that you mean with brick-walling especially in the same fracases as! they get different levels of compression and brick-walling??? I get brick = building stone and wall! Is it a English speech way? Like Pink Floyd sings another brick in the wall? But they don’t combine Brick-Wall!

I wish you anon55914447 and WiWavelength.
All the best with your Music Scientistic and I hope that you’re Science, will gives results. To us that listening to music because we like/love it.
Not as you Science who’s aren’t listening to like-for-like.

Respect

1 Like

@Anders_Strengberg if you don’t care if it’s the same master and volume level matched when comparing MQA to non MQA, I don’t think your opinion on MQA holds much value.

3 Likes

If an album sounds great in MQA then MQA is certainly doing no harm or it wouldn’t sound great.
So following my logic, the great sound may we’ll be due to the master? Who cares, it’s still sounds great.
Just listen to Gregory Porter in 96k MQA and explain to me how MQA is damaging such a great recording.

If it’s a great recording no matter what format you listen to it on, what’s the point of MQA version again? The size difference between it and regular 24/96PCM in a FLAC container is minimal and less and less relevant as each day goes by.

1 Like

@DrTone
I fought that you could read between the lines!
And to answer you, so does they make one Master for Vinyl and another for CDs.
So if they have done it by the “book” so is it a great or huge difference between the Analog or None Analog Master Tape!
That is used for CDs because it’s very hard compress’d not so it’s pumping and it’s not newbies that make the big artist or groups/bands Mastering, so it’s professionals who have made them!
The same thing is when it’s coming to Analog or none Analog Vinyl Master, everything under 200 HZ is mixed in Mono and it’s not possible to compress a Vinyl Master, even close to a Cd Master!
So it’s impossible to compare a MQA with a Cd if the MQA is made from the Vinyl Master! Okay!
I think that it’s clear as water to everyone here on Roon Community!
And why in the Heavenly Fathers Name should a recording company make different Mastering tapes on Vinyl and CDs!
They make one of each and has always done!
They copy’s if something should happen!
But they don’t make 5-10 different Master of each with different compression, eq settings etc…
It’s like that the Movie companies showing 5-10 different versions of a movie at the same time! So if you like the movie and watching it on a Monday and with some friends on the Friday on a different movie theater in another town! So is it a different beginning and end and different colors and the music isn’t the same!
It’s completely different if it’s the Directs cut!
The same thing is with music if it’s the original version or the remastered version!
But to say as some people here are!
What they have 4,5,6-10 different kinds of Master with the same artist especially Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac or Pink Floyd who didn’t let anyone doing if it wasn’t at least one member of the band with them all the time! Hello it’s so stupid as don’t listen to like-for-like!
What do you get out of music when!!!

1 Like

So MQA does no musical harm you have to admit.
The economics of bandwidth to major streaming and distribution companies is beyond my knowledge as are their long term predictions on how MQA may influence this in the future, but I am certain they have considered this all in a global perspective.

Sure it does, as data is thrown away and some black box DSPing is applied to a perfectly good source. But I think you already knew my opinion on that.

1 Like

Sorry @Anders_Strengberg I struggle to make sense of your replies, never mind reading between the lines. Obviously a byproduct of English not being your native language, no disrespect meant.

2 Likes

Funny, All I hear is some amazing recordings that are addictive to listen to. Certainly the best audio quality I have ever enjoyed.

3 Likes

No MQA does no harm regarding the economic point of view against us consumers, so is it that we need to buy a MQA Dac!
For myself does I have a Meridian Explorer 2 it’s cheap and makes the work. They who have to pay is the record company but they have earned money on artist for 50-60 years now!
So it’s time to pay now and maybe for example Roon and TIDAL etc…but they haven’t announced any thing about higher price!
When Cd came we had to buy CD players to be able to play them!
It’s so easy to don’t listen to any MQA music it’s a choice we self can decide, right!
If they had removed the CDs it’s been a different issue but now we can choose!
The issue or problems for many about MQA seems to be, if they have used a Analog or Digital Master to make the MQA from!
But it’s a thing we ain’t going to get any answer on, so it just to let it go!
I have refused many MQA albums because they don’t sound as good as I want!
When we Vinyl records got the up going trend for some time ago now!
So bought many people Vinyl records made from Cd Masters, the recording company changed just so the pickups shouldn’t jump out of the tracks, but generally so was it a Cd in a Vinyl format people bought :smile:.
The same thing is with MQA some are made from Analog Tape Masters, and some from Digital Masters!
Because some music doesn’t exist on another thing but Digital Masters and some Analog Masters hasn’t been able to rescue, so they have been transferred to Digital Masters!
But to put down time on recording the MQA albums to see if they are made from Analog Tape or Digital Masters, seems for me totally crazy!
But it’s only my opinion and we all have different kinds of interesting and hobbies, many think that I’m stupid because I put down so much money on music stuff so! And I think that after spending 40 years in the studio, producing, mixing and mastering so have i got my share of it!
So I just want to listen to good music! Not sitting in front of a screen and looking at waveforms, or looking at spectrum analyzer to see different pattern of filters and eq settings! But the scientists who haven’t done it for 40 years they seems to enjoy it. Especially when they can show up or put in their conclusion into different discussions! But I’m not better because I write now and when maybe all the time that I been a professional musician, studio producer jada jada…I shall try to stop doing it and I have noticed that I spend to much of my valued time here on the Roon Community! I don’t have time to arguing with people! It takes way to much of my valuable time when I can listen to great music instead! So does I get frustrated because someone is writing something that person believes is great and it’s probably is, it’s just that I have another veered idea about it so does I get upset or angry and I don’t want to be it!

Roon Community is a great forum but it takes to much of my time and energy, so I won’t be around for awhile I don’t say goodbye, I’m coming back but I will take a little vacation so everyone take care, so will we see how long my vacation will be! If someone wants to question me about something so is it okay to write a message and I promise that you will get a answer! Love & Respect until I will be back. Anders

2 Likes

Are you certain that you are playing MQA and not a broken record?

AJ

2 Likes

C’mon @DrTone you made the funniest person in this discussion to leave!!! Bad, bad, bad! (JOKE)

The music is fine, digital and authenticated… But there is a broken record in the ether lol

Is that careless attitude that brought us where we are today: few of us who really want (and care about) some quality we have to pay way much more in a niche market because for the majority of consumers (who care only about quantity) the mp3 still sounds great. And the history is just about to repeat herself with yet another lossy format.

It’s not musically Lossy, you only have to listen but this argument is done to death.

2 Likes