Netgear Gigabit switches

Connected Audio Devices

Living Room:Denon AVR X4700H, Chromecast, Apple TV 4KHDTV,
Play Room Denon AVR E400, Roku, Apple TV
Listening Room: ViiM

Number of Tracks in Library

1200 files, 78 folders

Description of Issue

I installed Roon and Qobuz on Sunday 1/8 set up 2 week evaluation period, and everything worked well until Tuesday evening, wer= were able toi access all the Airplay capable devices just fine though we only set up the 2 Denon’s and the Viim. We also installed the roon clients on household Ipad and Iphones., and on Monday copied a Roon shortcut to the start folder on the PC (the Roon home). everything worked hunky dory, with a few fits and starts navigating roon on the PC, which we put down to indexing of the music on the PC.
The first signs of trouble were Tuesday evening, I tried to open Roon on my Iphone and it told me something to the effect that it coulkdn’t find roon did I want to connect to a different instance. Roon was still playing on the Living Room Denon and I was looking for the phone I started it on, I put that down to user error and shut roon down from the host PC, and shut down the PC for the night Since then I’ve been unable to start roon, If I launch from the iconI get the initial window with an icon of a black speaker playing music, and that’s it until I shut it down.

So far, we have refreshed the NVidia drivers , reinstalled the latest .NET (dotNET) and removed and reinstalled Roon

I was going to send the requested log file but it’s too big, I can do searches if anyone wants to see it.

Hi @Bernhard_Rieckhoff

First off, thank you for giving Roon a shot! I have no doubt we can get you running.

I’m definitely seeing that your core is offline and not reporting to Roon’s servers. We have seen a few instances of Windows and Roon not playing well but we have a way around this with Roon Server. You can install it from our downloads page. Once installed you’ll have a Windows tray icon. If you click it, select the option to launch at startup. This means the core will no longer be dependent on the Roon user interface to run!

Before you install it, we may need to clean up Roon to make it work. I’m going to list the steps below. Since you likely don’t have much of a database to restore, you can ignore the backup portion:

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder

When you’re given the opportunity to log back in, you should see the Roon server as an option.

Lastly, we’ve restarted your trial of Roon to be sure you get ample time to evaluate the amazing features Roon has to offer. Thank you again for giving us a go!

Wes

Thank you for your timely reply.

I’ve updated the Nvidia Quadro FX Drivers, and done as you suggested, and the Roon Server, and accompanying appliance and RAATserver have become very stable. Running Roon,on the PC itself, however, is problematic, and goes into looping when demands are made of the interface, (even scrolling a list or a menu, Do that enough onb the PC and the server can be induced to crash also. Otherwise Roon is working great, and using the app in our Iphones/Pads works just fine, including configuring Roon settings.

I have observed an occasional annoyance where server access seems to momentarily turn off. (like buffering a movie on a slow connection), but I am running gigabit switches and CAT 6 all around the house, and the PC’s and music playing Devices (Denon’s and WeeM are hard wired,. speed test shows a minimum 100Mbs at all nodes. (depends on the number of switches in the path), The PC has 300 MBs Up and Down.So I am a bit disappointed in the Roon apps performance on the PC, especially considering that the machinery itself is no slouch, if somewhat dated, but otherwise generally pleased overall, as I don’t normally use the PC to play music or direct music to other devices.

Again Thanks for your help

Hi @Bernhard_Rieckhoff,

It sure does seem like the system specs should be able to handle this setup and a library of 1200 files.

Can you get me a date/time/action taken stamp so I can see what is happening in the diagnostics logging? I can check it out and see if there’s anything we can offer to streamline your experience.

Thanks,
Wes

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.