I'm getting a message that "playback failed because it couldn't connect to HQPlayer"

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Mac Mini

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Mac server wifi connected to Comcast

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

USB

Description Of Issue

It’s worked fine for a year but now it won’t recognize my system. I had had a problem with a McAfee firewall but I haven’t changed any settings there.

Sometimes updates do change settings.

Make sure that you have setup proper application exceptions for Roon.exe and RAATServer.exe in all active firewalls and check your settings following the guide HQPlayer Setup.

1 Like

Hi @Patrick_O_Brien,

As @BlackJack suggested, I would check firewall first, you can use these instructions to check the OSX firewall. You mentioned you have McAFee, is it possible that your McAFee firewall settings were reverted by an update? Can you temporarily try disabling McAFee as a test?

My Apple firewall is off

My McAfee firewall is on but It won’t take my password

I turned the Mcafee firewall off but still get the message “Playback failed because $ couldn’t connect to HQPlayer”

Hi @Patrick_O_Brien,

Is the “Connect from Network” button on your HQPlayer still checked?

Can you check the instructions on our HQPlayer Article and make sure that you have followed all the steps listed?

Yes, turning the firewall off didn’t help.

@Patrick_O_Brien - I meant the other steps listed in the guide:

Step 1 : In order to connect to HQPlayer using any address other than localhost or 127.0.0.1 , you must enable the “Allow control from network” feature in HQPlayer. This is the globe icon on the far right hand side of the HQPlayer toolbar

Is the Mac server hosting both Roon and HQPlayer? If so, you’ll want to specify localhost.

I found the problem when I looked at the Zones menu, it was set to the wrong zone, no idea why - I never messed with that

Thanks for the help

Great news @Patrick_O_Brien, happy to hear you located the source of the issue.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.