I'm sick of this - Tidal and Qobuz streaming issues through Roon

Thank you all so much for providing feedback .

I have been using Cox Cable with 150 GB speed download and 10 GB upload. I’m using an Amplifi router to a Dell computer as my core. Based on a number of feedbacks, my router speed should be more than enough to make this work.

As of yesterday, I’ve increased my download speed to the gigablast setting and also have 30 GB upload speed. I’m going to try this and see if that alleviates the problem.

It could be my router, but works in non-prime times without problem. More in a little bit.

Again, thanks for everyone’s feedback. John Barrett

Best advice I have is

• if you are running either your ROCK or local music wireless, don’t. Wire it.
  • if you are running wireless endpoints, don’t. Wire them, or at least enough to convince yourself that this is an issue
  • if you are running your music on a NAS and your ROCK on a separate machine, don’t. Either invest in a nucleus, or run your music local to your ROCK, or run ROCK in a docket container on your NAS
  • no no no Ethernet over power line; just use “real” cat5/6
  • if you are using the switching inside your router, don’t; add a single unmanaged gigabit switch inside your router, and run all the wires from your ROCK and endpoints back to this single switch (most consumer routers have crappy switches built in; there should be a single Ethernet cable connecting your router to this single switch, and then “home runs” out to all your Roon endpoints and ROCK. It’s a “star topology”)
  • if you are running multiple layers of switches, don’t; just use a single switch

All these rules can be broken. I break most of them, because I’m running Ubiquiti switches, and I can spot network issues. But if you want to minimize frustration, start by following all these rules and then figure out which ones to relax that work for you.

2 Likes

@john_barrett1 - I used to have an issue with this when I lived by my workplace. The issue was all of the houses on the block were tied to the same network and if everyone on that block was using the internet for streaming and such that’s when I would have buffering issues.

If your router is provided by Cox Cable then you may be able to call them and ask for a new router, especially if you are paying a monthly fee for it. That may help too!

You can also run a speed test during peak and non-peak times to see the difference in the speeds you are getting throughout the day.

Hopefully you get this resolved and best of luck!

Funny I use an Archer D9 with no issues but I don’t use WiFi for serious stuff

It all boils down to networking. Currently running a Nucleus revA internal SSD, (prior) use was 2010 Macmini. My ISP is connected to 1st gen Google wifi with six pucks connected to an 24 port zyxtel unmanaged switch extended bia six trendnet switches in various rooms.

ROON Audio endpoints consist of two Meridian 861/id40, four Meridian MS200, four ATV, two Marantz airplay receivers, Sooloos Ensemble with four outputs, Sooloos C10 (running Sooloos) and a pi4 running roExtend. All cables are cat6.

My local library with Qobuz and two macmini, two iPhones and a iPad for control. I experience nearly zero issues with two avid music listeners in our home. As others have said solid wired networks is the key to nirvana.

1 Like

No problem streaming Qobuz via Roon (and an Auralic Aries G2.1). Listening room is in the basement with wifi extender, so it’s not optimal and yet it works flawlessly.

Thought I posted this already. But I am running from the router to my boulder 866 unit with streaming capabilities through 4K HDMI cable.

I have had this, but not for a while (its been complained about extensively before, so may have been addressed), and never night after night. The fans all telling you that its ‘all your problem’ really is not the most helpful thing - I had the drop outs on a computer (endpoint or the core) then streamed perfectly on the Qobuz app on the same computer, but still not working if I returned to Roon (i.e. I had controlled for the internal/external network). What is obvious in many of the posts above is very high bandwidth connections, so it is possible that Roon utilises more bandwidth than the native apps

I’ve had intermittent problems with Qobuz-Roon link for at least a year.
For me, my entire Qobuz connection vanishes within Roon. It eventually (days) comes back and has NOTHING to do with network connections - it would seem to be a user account issue which Roon have been trying to resolve in recent times. The issue, I believe, is at Qobuz’s end. However, I believe it’s down to the handshaking between Roon and Qobuz. Hit and miss regarding which Qobuz users are affected.
Currently, for me, all is well. However, I know that something will mess up at some point in the future.
When I talked about this with Roon, they stated that they were aware of the general issue and were working on it. Also suggested I might contact Qobuz to see if my user account was facing any issues.
Didn’t. Perhaps you might?
At any rate, all this talk of pro-sumer networking may well be a red herring. I’d look to Qobuz to begin with.
PS…I’m based in the UK.

@ipeverywhere I just discovered this thread, and when I read your post I could’ve sworn I heard the trumpet sounding in my head that the calvary had arrived. Oh my gosh! has this been a frustrating experience for me. I’m a baby boomer who’s just this side of computer illiterate. I hate to admit that, but it’s true. I know just enough to get in and out of my computers and do what I need to do … is how I would describe my level of computer prowess.

I’ve invested considerably in some pretty hifalutin audiophile gear to allow me to enjoy listening … and at the moment I can’t get my computer to recognize my setup. My system has worked for the last year and brought me lots of joy, and periodically, from time to time when Roon wouldn’t recognize it, I could restart my computer and it always worked.

I’ve been w/o music now for three days and currently feel like my therapist broke up with me because I can’t access my music so I can chill out.

My equip: I’m using my macbook as my core, streaming from it thru a USB audio cable plugged into the back of my Cambridge Audio Azur 751R, which is sort of an audiophile grade high current integrated A/V receiver. My Cambridge audio is connected to the 751 via rca. My speakers are Martin Logan Summit. The sound is amazing. When it works.

I’m not even sure I’ve optimized my setup, the way I’ve got it configured currently. This is where I would blow the calvary horn maybe, lol. If you can please advise about that, the way I’ve got it configured … and also make a suggestion about how I can get my groove turned back on again real quick … it would be oh so cool.

Rob

Open a new thread in Support and answer those questions. Let’s get the glorious noise back and then work on optimization.

I’ll look for your thread but it will get more attention over there as lots of others have seen some issues with endpoint misbehaving after 880/882 so don’t be surprised if a bunch of others jump in. Be sure to include a screen shot of Settings → Audio

2 Likes

@ipeverywhere Can you suggest a title for the thread that will attract the right attention?

@ipeverywhere … btw, when you’re advising about my configuration … I have an iPad Pro also and haven’t been using it only b/c I was trying to achieve the most reliable setup. But I would love the convenience of controlling my sound from my iPad pro perhaps even if there’s a slight trade off in fidelity … to improve my ease of use.

Thank you so much for your help here.

Using your iPad Pro as a Roon control device will have no affect on your sound quality. It might if you used it as a Roon end-point with headphones plugged into it.

@Jim_F That’s great news, I bet it’ll be much more convenient than my laptop.

1 Like

I apparently can’t figure out how to get that thread going you requested.

If you’ll please give me a title for the thread I’ll tag you.

While many issues are networking, I agreeRion is lacking

• I often have Tidal playback stop at 0:00 on the next song

• I get skipped songs

• sometimes playback stops

I think a huge step would be a more simple user oriented log. What songs played. What network quality is currently happening. How many concurrent streams in Roon. In a simple format that a user could paste into the forum.

Another thought would be for every tidal and qobuz Roon streamer report streaming status back to Roon and Roon visualizing it on a map for us all to see. Sure there are a lot of in home problems but there are also tidal network issues. Maybe this could be an Add On someone could write?

I would just like more imagination from Roon to help us help ourselves.

1 Like

Have you checked in Settings Audio that the Azur is enabled

The USB input directly should show up

I doubt the Azur is Roon Ready but USB should work

I know it’s not preferred, but I have had no issues with using powerline. I would suggest if laying real cat cable is a major expense, as it would be for me in my 250 year old 3ft thick stone walled cottage, give it a go rather than rely on WiFi! I use power lines to provide “Ethernet” back haul for my mesh repeaters. If you use a recent one with pass through sockets it provides better noise reduction on the line.

No discernible SQ difference between powerline and running a reel of Ethernet through the doors over the carpet.

It is worth trying for sure… you can always return if they cause any issues.

Totally agree. Whatever works, and it’sa bunch of bits. Given the wiring and distances and background RF in your environment, it’ll work out it won’t. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I’m more saying “no no no” because this community periodically spends a fair bit of time helping someone troubleshoot a horrific Roon experience that, in the end, comes down to poor latency via Ethernet over power line that they thought was ethernet. New users should know that this is a really intensive networking application that depends on a rock solid network. So when I run into someone who has the choice I tell them to take the other path. And if they don’t have the choice I say “at your own risk, this way there be monsters, etc”.

Wish I lived in your cottage though! I’d happily deal with all kinds of things. Do we get a picture?

Best