iMac no longer recognized and new albums not appearing

Thank you @Wes, my next question was going to be about the firewall configuration on the Mac, ensuring exceptions are made for Roon and RAATServer.

1 Like

I do have the firewall on and there is an exception for Roon. Please see the screen capture. However, this hasn’t changed in years and problem cropped up 6 weeks ago, so I don’t understand why this would be an issue now. I also have a VPN.

I’ve turned off the VPN and turned off the firewall and rebooted and there have been no changes. I’m at a loss.

Here is a screen shot of the firewall showing the Roon exception.

So, with the firewall on and off there is no change. No iMac audio and no updates on my music.

Thoughts? Also, thanks for you help.

Brian

Thanks for your help Robert. Yes, I have followed all of you recommendations, everything has been updated… Made no difference unfortunately.

Brian

HI @BLH,

I’m sorry you’re continuing to have issues. With diagnostics, I am not seeing anything relevant to your iMac.

Can you give me a screenshot of what is displayed under Roon>Settings>About on this iMac?

Thanks,
Wes

Here you go Wes.

Hi @BLH,

Ok, something odd just happened. 22 hours ago I replied to you and at the same time, requested diagnostics information about your core. Around the timeframe of your reply today, they finally came back to me. This indicates there may be some networking issues causing your woes as these requests are generally returned within 3 minutes and in some extreme cases, 10 minutes.

Can you tell me more about your router and modem, please? How is your Roon core (ROCK) or any other devices connected to your network?

Thanks,
Wes

1 Like

Curious, I agree. Roon to the iMac is hardwired, not WiFi.

I’m use Comcast and have my own modem at CM 1000, wifi is a Google Mesh Wifi. Switch is a Netgear 24 port.

Here’s a photo.

Hi @BLH,

Let’s try a clean install of Roon. There’s a chance that there’s something in the SW going wrong despite my leaning toward a networking issue. Instructions below. Just to be clear, these instructions are provided with the understanding that the iMac is not your core.

• Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder

One more question for you to clarify things. Are your remotes or core on wifi in any way (ie directly connected to wifi or directly connected to a mesh node that is part of wifi setup?

Wes

Thanks, I’ll do just that. I forgot to add in the previous photo that Roon lives on a NUC an i5. So, pretty easy to do.

Brian

I’m using ROCK on a NUC. Doesn’t the instruction still apply?

Thanks,

Brian

The instructions are specific to the Mac. If still not working we’ll take a look at ROCK as the culprit in addition to networking.

Thanks,
Wes

1 Like

Sorry, haven’t been able to work on it for a week or so, lots of company. This coming week I’ll work on it.

Brian

1 Like

Hi Wes,

Sorry for taking so long to answer this. It seems that the problem with album recognition has to do with the my NAS. Somehow, many and various albums were missing. I compared my back to the my live data and it took a couple of days, but they are identical again. So, no longer any missing albums and ROCK works just fine.

I updated my iMac (circa 2017) to Mac OS Ventura yesterday and for a brief moment Roon recognized my internal speakers and everything work great, but that was yesterday. Now, once again, Roon doesn’t recognize my iMac’s internal speaker.

All of my endpoints are hardwired. No Wifi to endpoints.

Any thoughts on the iMac issue would be appreciated.

Brian

Hi @BLH,

Glad to see you back on my radar again. We’ll do our best to get you working.

Can you give me a screen shot of two different system preferences screens for me, please?

Network and Energy saver

Based on my own experiences with MacOS, one of these might contain the answer. If not, I’ll see what our development group says.

Thanks,
Wes

Here ya go Wes. Thanks for your continued help.

Brian

Good morning, @BLH,

Can you turn you turn off power nap and reboot to see if perhaps the issue stops occurring for me? I am collecting instances of this happening to see if there’s something Roon can do to deploy a fix for the problem.

Thanks,
Wes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Not seeing new albums from Qobuz

I turned off Power Nap and rebooted. So, this is just crazy, I started Roon and got this:

So I rebooted Roon and got this:

OK great! Let’s see if it sticks this time. I rebooted Roon and got this…back to the starting line, no audio on my iMac.

Let me know wha you think Wes. This is really crazy behavior. Audio on the iMac works for everything else.

Brian

Hi @BLH,

My apologies for the delayed response. I don’t see where the firewall or filters were changed. Does this behavior persist with the firewall and filters turned off?

If not, re-enabling them one at a time would likely give us our culprit. My Roon wouldn’t work at all with my filters for Kaspersky turned on:

Screenshot 2022-11-09 at 10.31.33 AM

Please let me know.

Wes

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.