iMac with Big Sur OS is hanging up after about 24 hours

Are there any new developments with this problem? My Roon Core on iMac with Big Sur OS is hanging up after about 24 hours of running fine. Have to reboot the iMac to restart Roon, only to have the problem occur again a day later or so. Long time Roon user here and always had Core loaded on iMacs. Thanks!

Hi @Rocky_Holliday

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

By hanging up, do you mean it’s crashing? Or is it stuck on a certain page, or stuck loading?

1 Like

Hi Dylan,

Sorry to be tardy responding as I have been traveling.

My core machines is a 2019 27" iMac running macOS Big Sur version 11.4. Roon version is 1.8, Build 814.

Remotes are an Apple iPhone 12 Pro with IOS 14.6 and an Apple iPad Pro 12.9" with IOS 14.6.

My network includes a Luxul AC3100 Gigabit Router and a Luxul XGS-1008 Ethernet Switch feeding a house-wide CAT5 network.

My iMac is connected via USB to a Peachtree Audio iDAC for office use. House-wide End Points include four Sonos devices (some via Ethernet, some via WIFI) and a BlueSound Node 2i via Ethernet.

I use both Tidal and Qoboz streaming. My local library is on a Seagate 1TB remote drive with 23,186 tracks

All the end points work fine. The core runs fine (including the USB connection from the iMac to the nearby DAC) for 24 hours or so. For some reason, after 24 hours or so the Core just stops responding. When I try using Roon Core already running on my iMac, I just get the Apple “spinning color wheel of death”. At that point the End Points can not find Roon Core by WIFI or ethernet. Roon Core can not be restarted until the iMac is rebooted. Once rebooted, Roon runs normally for another 24 hours.

Let me know if you need anything further. Thanks for your help!

Thanks for the details, @Rocky_Holliday. The next time this happens, can you please use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link (or any other file sharing service)? Thanks.

Ok, will do Dylan. Thank you.

Here’s the link to the zipped log folder Dylan. Thanks again for the help! Rocky

Thanks for sending that over, @Rocky_Holliday. Once we’ve been able to complete analysis on the logs we’ll be in touch ASAP!

Hi @Rocky_Holliday

The next time this happens can you try this?

Open Console.app (this is part of mac os x. You can command-spacebar and then type “console” to find it).

Then go into the “User Reports” section, and see if you can find any Roon crashes in there.

For any crashes, paste the contents into a text doc and then send that file over to use so we can take a look.

This should give us more information about what’s happening here. Thanks!

Hi Dylan,

Roon seemed to run without crashing for a while but finally did crash yesterday while I was using it. I followed your instructions re the Console App but unfortunately there were no Crash Reports there. If you think deleting and reinstalling Roon could be helpful could you please advise me re the proper steps to take? Thanks again.

Rocky