Import music on NUC from NUC external USB to internal SSD possible

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
NUC8I7 with internal M2 and additional 2TB SSD

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Description Of Issue
I would like to remove the external USB drive from NUC, I need to copy the files to the internal #2 SSD.
It was connected to a PC before and is recognized now (connected to the NUC) but I do not see anyway to copy the files while the drive is connected to the NUC.

To copy via network is that slow, that it will really cost me days, that’s the reason why I try.
Connection is via LAN over powerline with slow, but stable speed.

Hi @Guenter,

In order to move the music to the NUC’s internal storage, you’ll need to connect to the NUC over the network via Finder or File Explorer and copy the files from one location to the other.

You can read more about this in our KB.

Hi @dylan,
thx, this works, but there is no advantage in speed in compare to having the drive conected to my PC.
It’s stil a lot of network traffic envolved, thought it could be done inside the NUC without using the network?

There is no other supported way. As you write that you use EoP (powerline), you might want to move your NUC temporarily to another place where a decent ethernet connection is possible.

The quickest way is to connect the external hard drive to your PC, connect the PC to the ROCK share and copy the files over.

PS: From Networking Best Practices:

Ethernet Over Power (EoP)

The quality of Ethernet Over Power solutions varies quite a bit, and generally it will be less reliable than Ethernet. There are times it can work well, but if you’re having a problem and powerline ethernet is involved, we recommend temporarily replacing the ethernet over power connection with a real ethernet cable to see if things improve.

1 Like

It’s true that the very low speed was driven by power over lan. I canceld the copy process and used a cross over lan cable, conecting my pc and the Nuc, speed was 10 times faster, job is done now,))))

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.