IMPORTDATE not working as expected

I have about half of my 1800 albums tagged with a field IMPORTDATE in the format yyyy-mm-dd. I have set these tags manually using a tag editor (Metadatics on a Mac) and typically set them for the month-end date in which purchased, so an album purchased in May 2018 would be tagged 2018-05-31, and purchased in June tagged 2018-06-30. In import settings I have checked “File Creation Time” and “Use IMPORTDATE tag when present,” but Roon seems to prioritize the Creation Time over the IMPORTDATE tag. In the ”recently added” view, the first few albums are June purchases with a tag of 2018-06-30, but after that everything is sorted by creation if more recent than IMPORTDATE, which is a mess since I recently had to restore a lot of files. I expected that checking “Use IMPORTDATE tag” would mean that albums would be sorted by this tag, is that not the intended use?

For reference I’m running Roon Server on a Sonictrasnporter i7 using iPad remotes, music is on a Synology DS412+ NAS, streaming to Linn Klimax DSM.

Hi, @antonmb, thanks for your report! We will try to reproduce this behavior internally. I’ll let you know if we need some addition info from you (media or details).

Apologies for inconveniences!

Ivan

I appreciate you looking at this. File dates are too subject to change, I’m afraid if Roon can’t sort by a tagged filed like Importdate it will end up not working for me.

Hi, @antonmb, I tried but fail;ed top replicate the issue. But I found a thing which seems to me might cause some problems. If one or several tracks from the album doesn’t have IMPORTDATE tag, Roon uses its own Import Date while SOrting the albums, could you please check if there any chance that the same thing happens to your albums?

Thanks for your patience!

Ivan

I’ve checked a number of albums and for those with IMPORTDATE, all tracks are tagged the same. Yesterday I did some editing of a number of albums, and now all the albums I edited are showing up at the beginning of the “recently added” list, so the system clearly isn’t using the IMPORTDATE tag. My music is on a Synology NAS, which has a bug that editing changes the date created as well as date modified. In my Roon settings I have checked date created and IMPORTDATE, and everything seems to be defaulting to the date created.

Thanks for the info, @antonmb, and sorry for a delayed reply. May I ask you one more question, which file formats do you have in your library? And when you say that albums are not sorted by IMPORTDATE which ones are not sorted actually, is it fromat dependent? As you know, different file format have different tagging standards, so if all flac albums are sorted, but mp3 are not, it’d be good to know, because potential problem search area will get smaller.

Thanks!

Ivan

Ivan, my albums are all flac except for a handful of MP3 and dsd (less than 10 of each.) Flac files aren’t sorting. For what it’s worth, I rip with dbpoweramp, and edit using Metadatics on a Mac. The IMPORTDATE tag has been created using Metadatics.

Hi, @antonmb, sorry for a late reply here, may I ask you to upload media which is not sorting correctly for you? I will contact you via PM with more details.

Thanks!

Ivan