Impossible: Moving Core from OS X to a Windows10, then back

To gain in knowledge, I moved Core from an os x to a windows10. This creates a lock as it is now impossible for the Windows10 machine to discover that the os x machine is back in the Core role. Other windows 10 machines that have not been into the Core role have no problems, and the same with android devices as Remotes, they work as remotes with whatever Core.

The Core Windows 10 insist that the only valid way is for itself to be core, and then all the other devices are accepted as remote.

If the roon/database folder is renamed, then the windows10 machine finds the os x Core immediately (upon next Roon startup).

Something is written into the Windows 10 database that prevents the proper release of the Core role.

What? (I can provide database in case Roon developers need to look into the matter)

Just to be clear, you are using Roon NOT RoonServer on all these machines.

I am partly ignorant on the Roon server, but as I understand things, these come without GUI, in which case the answer is yes. I have Roon remote on Android and I use a couple of these as wireless DACs

This is a digression to my question, though related: LG V10 HiFi phone, it has the big brother of the Ess 9016 Dragonfly Red as an extra built in DAC, namely the ess9018, accompanied by a powerful 9602 headamp / aux outlet. It is a hifi wireless DAC to my ears. Hence, not that educated on Roon servers.

RoonServers (without the GUI) do not have the ability to be clients to other RoonServers. Roon, the program that has the GUI, can be both the server or a client. If you installed RoonServer on the Win 10 machine, then you should uninstall it if you no longer want it to function as a server. You can keep Roon on the Win 10 machine as it can be a client to the OS X machine.

not sure what you are trying to tell me, but I just stated that I have not used Roon servers in any way.

If you copied the database when you moved the core you will have two instances of Roon on the network with the same ID. There’s a file which you need to delete then restart. Googling the forum will find you the details.

Nothing for the developers to look at, I suspect.

1 Like

Each Roon database has a unique identifier and only one copy of each database can run at a time. If you want to move the database from machine to machine you have to move it, not copy it.

Ok, that explain this problem. In an ideal world, it would be a good thing if Roon warned about the real reason, instead of not finding the other machine with the same Roon id.

Also ideally, it would be good if there was a more easy way to swap Core. Sometimes I bring Roon with me for audio demos (of something else), and now I know that I can do this only if I manually remove the renaming that I did yesterday on the Roon/database subfolder. (on the machine no longer defined as Core)

Why not use the unique machine network name of each machine to create a unique Id? That would allow for Roon to swap Cores.

(I haven’t done this, but) I believe the answer is to use the new backup capability. The Roon team has said that the backup removes the ID. So if you backup from one machine, the restore from that backup to another machine, they will be happy.

I have my Roon system set up for continual backup, so it does small incremental writes.

But I haven’t done restore. Maybe somebody has to xperience here?