Improving Roon SQ

I am told by one maker of a high-end -$8k- streamer that he will not
become Roon ready as in his testing Roon degrades the sound as
compared to whatever he chose to use. Admittedly this guy is very concerned about the very last amount of SQ as opposed to many
who may prefer the features of Roon vs the absolute highest SQ.

So my question is-Will Roon be addressing this issue? Or is it low priority or perhaps even unknown to Roon? I hate to be paying for a service which is not the highest SQ possible. As I have chosen Streaming over Vinyl I am already down by about 20% in direct comparison.

Sorry for the ramble but your answer is important to me so I try to
include all the detail I can.

And the maker of this high-end 8k streamer is?

2 Likes

Whatever being? Tidal, Qobuz? Audirvana? Local DSD? So little detail in that statement.

He said $8K. That means 8 thousand US dollars.

I think he meant just that. A streamer costs 8k, and does not support Roon.

That should narrow it down a bit…

My bet is Aurender?

Could be, the Aurender A30 is 18K.

There is no SQ issue with Roon to address. You can transport perfect unaltered PCM or DSD (non-DSP) to your DAC/streamer from Roon. You can’t have it better.

1 Like

There aren’t many Roon holdouts left in streamer makers. Perhaps Aurender is the last big name refuses to support Roon.

I’m very happy with Roon SQ. But I’m not spending that kind of $ on a streamer. Most expensive components I own are AudioNote Soro SE and Harbeth SHL5 +. Unless I win a lottery I won’t be spending 18K on a single piece of kit anytime soon.

Could be his “testing” is screwed up.

Could be he just doesn’t want to put in the effort to make it Roon Ready, and needs something to tell folks like you that might not like that attitude.

Could be that $8K is the price, not the value.

Could be that he’s fooling himself.

Lots of possibilities. But until we know what the streamer is, who the dude is, and what his preferred alternative is, hard to pin anything down.

I do not have permission to use the makers name. Not needed anyway.

The SQ issue has nothing to do with Tidal/Qobuz etc. It is all about
how Roon handles a stream vs how Non-Roon software would handle it.
I.E. The maker I reference demands the highest SQ hence he uses his own
software and will not accept Roon quality.

I would really like to know what the Roon engineers have to say about this.

So he says. Whoever he is.

Without attribution, why would the Roon engineers even comment? So, if you’d really like to know, you’ll have to provide specifics. I suspect you know this already.

1 Like

My best friends wife’s half brothers Uncle told me that the SQ was fine. I can’t tell you who he is though but we chatted in the pub.

3 Likes