In-app Advertising in a Paid Product is Unwelcome and Inappropriate

I do feel differently I suppose. I try not to sweat the small stuff, and IMO, this is pretty minute.

13 Likes

I do not wish to be bothered by promotional popups in services I pay for.

This is the heart of the matter. The modern App economy, for better or for worse, runs on the general agreement that if the service is free, there will be ads, and the user behavior will be sold to third parties. If the user values the service enough to pay for it, the ads will be removed. Roon has broken that expectation. That, in turn, causes me to reevaluate the value propsition of the subscription.

8 Likes

Seriously?
Some members think this is so offensive that they will toss Roon over it?

Could not have been enjoying the Roon experience very much at all then.
Sure it’s infantile but so is screaming" I’m out!" over it.
IMHO of course…

20 Likes

Has anyone seen this ad more than once on the same device? Once I clicked on the “X” I have not seen it again after coming back to Roon after a machine reboot or on my phone app. I personally don’t mind getting “occasional” promotional stuff. but I would not want to get flooded with it… but everyone has their opinion of course. Maybe an “opt out” settings would be nice?

8 Likes

Anyone noticing any changes in timbre during the pop-up advertising?

11 Likes

This may explain that: Will Roon Build 808 have more bass? - Roon Software - Roon Labs Community

2 Likes

It’s one of the only ads I’ve seen in months outside of a couple of ads on the cart returns at the grocery store and maybe the occasional ad on the side of a bus. I run ad blockers at the network level and in-browser, don’t watch/listen to linear programming, don’t use ad-supported apps or services, don’t use Windows, and don’t live anywhere with giant billboards.

I’m not going to drop Roon over a single ad, but it is the first thing I’ve seen that clearly isn’t for the benefit of the user base, so I trust them less now. It also means I won’t continue suggesting Roon to friends when they’re looking for a music player since a lot of people I know feel similarly about ads, especially in a paid product.

5 Likes

I take overreacting for 800 Alex…

5 Likes

Two comments:

1- How many people in the Roon community can fit their library in 1TB? Answer: I don’t know but the Roon team should fecking know! And I am guessing few!

2- That’s a $40 bucks kickback?

Actually a third comment: SAD.

1 Like

LOL

I’m glad to see I’m not the only one put off by the in app ad. IMHO, it would have been more appropriate to send an email about the Nucleus special.

6 Likes

So what will you suggest to your friends? Audirvana?

Get a life!

1 Like

It will be “small stuff” if this is the only time it happens. If we don’t express our displeasure now, it could become much more frequent. Especially if Roon views the ad as a success.

If Roon wants to display ads in the control app, at least provide an “ad opt out” setting so paying customers don’t have to see them unless they want to see them.

I find the lack of response from Roon disturbing. @danny

11 Likes

More like opt IN

4 Likes

That would be best but I’ll take either…

Perhaps whoever wrote the code for the persistent advertising pop-up can fix daily mixes appearing?

6 Likes

While I am not going to get indignant about this, I will add my voice to the chorus of nay votes for this kind of thing. Roon is supposed to be a premium service and as such I shouldn’t have to see in app marketing. Please just send us an email guys.

4 Likes

Stinks of desperation.

3 Likes

I really must agree, just look what greeted me this morning when I started up the forum browser:

Mouse

This is getting out of control, we already subscribe to Disney+… :rofl:

9 Likes