Incessant stutter. Playing thru Bluesound Node - So why is this happening?

Re local library loaded in BluOS. No. I’ve never set that up as it seemed to me to be redundant.

I used the BluOS for the sole purpose of getting the Node onto the network and then never used it again. Once it was on the network, Roon automatically detected it and I had no further use for BluOS. Until the other day when I needed to factory reset it, and then this morning when Tony from Bluesound suggested that I try it the other way around.

Here’s another one… Roon always dropping out after about 30 minutes or so. Now all Qobuz albums have disappeared

The simple fact here is that you use BluOS devices wirelessly at your own risk. They are flakey or just don’t work. I still think the only fix as I’ve said earlier is just to get it wired. You’ve tried everything but actually running a long wire temporarily to your Node 2 and see if that fixes it. If it does (and I will bet it does), then doing that permanently is the only way to fix. And while the Node2 wireless is especially flakey, it is still a fact if you want to setup a trouble free Roon system - no matter what the manufacturer – wire your devices. I know you don’t want this to be so, but it just is. You should stop beating your head on this.

1 Like

I get it. It’s not so much a matter of beating my head. It’s just not logistically possible until snow melts and I can safely use ladders. And I don’t know about your world, but my wife isn’t about to stand by while I start drilling holes in floors and walls. Frankly, climbing a 30 foot ladder in 6 feet of snow would be infinitely safer. :wink:

I take it she couldn’t stand a temporary cable being run?

Of course. For diagnostic purposes. But I’m assuming from what everyone has said that that may solve it. Which will leave me eyeballing my ladder until spring.

Once you get the first one drilled resistance decreases rapidly. You just have to wear her down… I have 12 wired zones of music in my house. You should have seen her when I dug up her flowers to bury a big subwoofer in her flower bed in our outside patio… My wife just gave up on me…:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

And you can hire people who do this for a living to tackle the wiring in your snowy enclave…

Unless the Pi works, in which case the ladder can stay where it is… :wink:

1 Like

Have you checked to determine what WIFI band (2.4 GHz or 5 GHz) that your Bluesound Node is using? I had nothing but problems with using an Auralic Aries Mini on WIFI until I figured out that it was connecting most of the time to the 2.4GHz band on my mesh WIFI network. I solved the problem by configuring an old Apple Airport Express (which always connects to the 5GHz band) and running an ethernet cable from the Airport Express to the Aries Mini. There is often a lot more interference in the 2.4GHz band from neighbors or other devices in the house than there is in the 5GHz band.

If you have not done so, you should check your router or run diagnostics to determine what band that your Node is using. If your Node is using the 2.4GHz band, you could then try to get the Raspberry Pi or an extender like the TP Link to force connections to the 5GHz band and see if that makes a difference. Some routers also might give you the ability to broadcast an SSID that only works in the 5GHz band.

WIFI issues are painful and lots of us have dealt with them. As I have dealt with WIFI issues, I have looked on Craigslist and eBay for Gen 2 Airport Express devices to find a spare. Those old Airport Expresses can sell for close to what they sold for new. Lots of other people must be experiencing similar issues.

It’s on the 5G band. But someone above suggested something similar except to try to get it onto 2.4 because it tends to be more stable. :woozy_face: I looked on eBay tho, and you can pick up an AE 2d gen for about $20.

I’ve got a Rpi en route. I’m going to set that up and see what happens.

I would steer clear of anything apple networking wise.

Probably wise, but when one has a small mountain of formally “obsolete” e-junk in one’s garage, and there happens to be an AE somewhere in there, it’s worth a try. But I agree that I wouldn’t buy one.

This might be of interest, the posts and the links.

Just bite the bullet and hardwire the Node. It isn’t Roon. You will continue to experience issues with almost anything you buy until you connect the device to your router. Been there, done that.

Thanks. Looks interesting. That OP went through almost the same stuff as I have. Lots of parallels.

I’m going to try creating a pure 2.4 signal and see what that does. At the moment I have a workaround but it’s pretty wonky. Also sitting here with a brand new Rpi that I’m going to try. Maybe I can repurpose the Rpi if one of these other things works.

The proper network config should be:

Arris Modem in passthrough/Bridged mode
Connected to the Google wifi Router wan port
Then connect the 2nd port on the google wifi router to your switch
from your switch out to all devices
This would allow them all to be on the same lan/vlan

google mesh test - needs to report great (good isn’t “good” enough")
try adjusting locations - even just a few feet
google wifi test - will show speeds to each of the wifi devices
my bluesound devices ~130mbps
my nvidia shield ~ 240mbps (right beside each other)

the switch you need to look at what it is capable - often called the switching rate
remember you may have TV / youtube many other services running

if you can set static ip for your devices - its better and helps with debugging
google you wouldn’t heed to

this is more of a network problem than it is a roon / bluesound issue
remember almost everything is wifi enabled these days and can interfere with each other

Dupe post from the Rpi forum…

Okay. Just reporting with a status update. Rpi assembled, flashed, set up on the CXA61 and the signal is clean as a whistle. Having also stumbled on another workaround I now have two working solutions to the lousy wifi signal issue, and a Rpi that I don’t need but will keep to play around with. I may put a hat on it and see what happens to SQ, if I can figure out how to bypass the DAC in the CXA61. Not sure that’s even possible, tho there may be something in the CXA61 manual that discusses the possibility. Maybe one of the AUX inputs bypasses the DAC. We’ll see.

Thanks everyone for the help!

1 Like

Hi @dcw96161,

Thanks for letting us know that you’ve been able to resolve the issue with the Rasberry Pi instead of using WiFi to the endpoint! Happy listening!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.