Incomplete iTunes playlist import

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Intel i7 16 GB NUC running windows 10, Roon 1.7 Build 528
Music on Synology NAS

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Wired Gigabit Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Not relevant for this discussion

Description Of Issue

I would like to import my iTunes playlists. Roon finds only 5 out of 26 playlists, and the playlists are significantly incomplete (for example 10 out of 600 songs).

The 590 missing songs are in the same directory structure on the same shared drive of the same NAS as the ones that are found.

Hello @Christoph_Jans, let’s take a look at one of the tracks from those playlists that aren’t showing up in Roon’s playlist. Could you confirm that the track appears in Roon, outside of the playlist it was intended to be part of?

Hello

I checked and the songs are there in Roon. I checked 5 or 6, all there. They are also there in iTunes and play in both Roon and iTunes.

Chris

Hey @Christoph_Jans, thanks for taking a look at that. Could you provide a screenshot of a single track that’s part of the playlist in iTunes, and another screenshot of that same track in File Explorer?

Hii, Here’s a song that is in the playlist in iTunes but does not appear in the playlist in Roon. First pic is in Roon, 2nd is in Windows File Explorer, 3rd and 4th are in iTunes. Sorry for the German.

I might have found (a part of) the solution myself: all songs that make it to the playlist in Roon are in the iTunes folder, the ones that don’t are elsewhere. I think your documentation says it needs all to be under the iTunes file tree

Hello @Christoph_Jans, you are correct! On this article, we do make a note about wanting the media and the XML to be in the same folder. Let me know if making that change resolves the issue.

If you come across other tracks that aren’t importing, some files are “skipped” because of special characters in the name of the file or file path. Let me know how this goes!

Hello,
is there any chance to use the m4p files from iTunes that came via Apple Music into the Library of iTunes (Music) within Roon? It looks like they are (maybe due to DRM) omitted and do not appear in the Roon library.

Hallo,
I’m just testing the way via TuneMyMusic from iTunes Playlists to Tidal playlists, that might solve part of the issues.
Is there a similar way to Roon playlists directly?

Hello @Michael_Hahne, if your tracks are stored locally, you can create a watched folder in Roon to bring them in. If you mean Apple Music (the streaming service) those files aren’t stored locally and thus cannot be imported.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.