Incorrect album covers

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

MacOS 10.15.6
3.1 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Radeon Pro 560 4 GB

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Netgear Nighthawk AC router
Fiber speed internet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Roland DJ 808

Description Of Issue

Roon keeps pulling the same album cover for literally all the songs in my collection (mp3s). I have the correct album cover when playing tracks in Tidal, but not my local music files. It is always the same album cover.

I am trying to figure out a way to get Roon to look at the correct album cover. I have tinkered around with the settings to toggle between Roon tags vs the tags on the music file and that hasn’t made a difference.
I have no idea where Roon is getting this album cover from.

Are your tracks in a set of sub folders or all in one folder?

They are all in the same folder.

Sounds like it’s applying a folder image to all tracks.

Not a good idea. Roon expects tracks in an album to be in a folder. It does not expect to see tracks from more than one album in a single folder.

I don’t really have a choice.
I am a DJ and they are my music edits sorted by tags. Having them broken down into sub folders would be chaotic for me to sort.
I was hoping Roon could read the tags I have put on the music files.

I have no idea where it is getting this album cover. It’s from a song that’s not even in my collection anymore.

I have looked at every tag I can find in my music files and I can’t see this album cover anywhere.

Well then, I’m sorry, but I don’t think that Roon is what you are looking for to manage your music collection. Roon’s metadata model relies on being able to identify album releases (amongst other things), and that’s not possible with how your collection is currently organised.

As noted above, it could definitely be tricky without structured folders.

Are all of your albums appearing correctly besides the album art? Are they identified? Can you share some screenshots of what you’re seeing?

I don’t think it has anything to do with structured folders.
I pointed Roon at 5 albums worth of material, 5 different albums by 5 different artists and a completely different set of material aside from my DJ edits.
Still, it shows me the same album cover for all of them. Now it’s pulling some album cover that doesn’t even exist in my collection. The Roon application is assigning this album cover from somewhere…and it’s not coming from the music tags.

The entire directory aside from the album cover issue is perfect.
It is exactly how I want it to be. I just want to get rid of this album cover somehow.

Well, the rest of us are sure it does. :slightly_smiling_face:

I pointed Roon at 5 albums worth of material, 5 different albums by 5 different artists and a completely different set of material aside from my DJ edits.

And you’ve told us that all these tracks are clumped together into a single folder. To which we’ve said that’s not going to work for Roon. In order to have a chance of identifying the 5 albums, it will expect to see the tracks of each album in its own album folder. It sounds as though Roon has metaphorically thrown in the towel at seeing this bunch of files and assigned some arbitrary cover.

For everyone’s sanity I think you’re going to have to try it…

Copy the files for each of those albums into a separate folder named for that album, and point Roon to the parent folder.

Post a screenshot of what happens…

No. The music tracks are not “clumped together” into a single folder.
Again, I ripped 5 cds. 5 different albums by 5 different artists so each album is in their own album folder.
There is absolutely no reason why Roon should assign the same album cover for these 5 different bands when it happens to be an album cover THAT ISN’T EVEN IN MY COLLECTION!!

Your theory about the issue pertaining to music files in a single folder is incorrect. I no longer have those music files in a single folder and I’m still having the same issue.

So you did have them in a single folder to start with? And now you’ve got the 5 albums each in their own folder? So what did you do with the original single folder? Delete it? And how did you delete it? From within Roon, or simply from the file system?

I ripped 5 cd’s with iTunes. I pointed Roon to look at the iTunes folder on my local hard drive. This iTunes directory creates subfolders for artist/album etc.
It sorts the albumm/artists just fine. The names, album titles, artist description, etc displays. Everything except the album cover. It’s the same album cover across all 5 albums.

The music files from the first folder I pointed Roon at are now gone and backed up to an external drive that is not even attached to my Mac but still, Roon keeps seeing an album cover that isn’t even in my collection.

I think, as @AndyR suggests, you’re going to have to post a screenshot or two to help us understand what is going on, and hopefully diagnose the issue.

I suggest a shot of the Album Browser (sorted by date added) so that we can see the five albums side by side, and then a screenshot of one of the album content pages…

I’ll post a screen shot later when I get back to my Mac with Roon.
I think the problem probably started from music files being in a single folder…but now that those files are gone, Roon still thinks that particular album is still there for some reason even though it is now looking at a completely different set of music.

You might try going to Settings > Library > Library Maintenance and clicking the “Clean Up Library” button to see if that helps…

Not sure if it’s relevant in this use case, but it might be good to confirm iTunes xml is turned on. Apparently it’s off by default.

https://kb.roonlabs.com/iTunes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.