Incorrect bunching of tracks into single work

Hi,

I have the Bach 333 boxset ripped into Roon […] and have the following issue cropping up in how Roon identifies works.

One disc has multiple, consecutive, versions of the Double Concerto BWV 1043 by different artists.

Roon collapses this into one single work [with 15 parts] rather than show five concertos by five artists.

Recognize this is a niche problem [unless you collect composer box sets :slight_smile:], but can you tweak the algorithm to include “artist” in the work identification? I can’t see any way to tweak the ingoing metadata to force the algorithm to separate the works

Thanks Chris

Hi @chris_laurens,

Can you share this disc with us so we can take a look? You can send me a private message including a shared Dropbox link (or any other file sharing service link) and we can take a look.

Thanks!

Hi @chris_laurens, thanks for your media! From your files, we identified a regression in our handling of repeated performances of the same work and a fix has gone into the (just released) latest stable build (505).

It won’t entirely fix your specific issue, because this disc has an edge case: specifically, there are 4 complete performances of BWV 1043, followed by a partial performance of BWV 1043 (Albrecht Mayer), followed by another complete performance of the same composition; this is really unusual.

We have a further candidate fix for this, but as with all metadata fixes of this nature, we have to be really careful not to introduce unintended consequences, so we want to give it a bit more consideration. For now, I recommend adding the following two tags to the Albrecht Mayer track:

Tag: WORK
Value: Concerto for 2 violins, strings & continuo in D minor ("Double"), BWV 1043

Tag: PART
Value: 2. Largo ma non tanto (Transcription For Oboe And Violin)

and selecting “Prefer File” for Multi-Part Composition Grouping for this album:

This should yield the following result:

Incidentally, the Bach 333 set is relatively new enough that metadata are still being populated by our providers (and it’s obviously a huge job). In time, full metadata will be available, though I can’t say when.

1 Like

Joel,

Thanks for this. Really appreciate the fast turnaround.

Chris

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.