Independently setting volume for speakers in a zone

Hello,

An introduction: I have three Bluesound speakers, two in my living room, configured as a stereo pair, and one in the adjacent kitchen. The three form a fixed group in BlueOS, and Roon can use the group as an audio zone.

A nice thing about BlueOS is that it allows me to independently control the volume of the speakers within the group. Meaning that I can set the volume of the speaker in the kitchen and the volume of the stereo pair in the living room separately, which is a feature I like to make use of, because the level of noise and human occupation can vary between the two rooms.

So my question is: Can I do the same thing from Roon? As far as I can tell, Roon regards the audio zone as a single output with a single volume setting. Is there a possibility to have separate volume controls per speaker? Or perhaps it is possible to have nested zones with separate volume settings?

Thanks in advance,
Frans

When you group speakers in Roon you can control the volume of each speaker independently - just click on the loudspeaker icon at the bottom right of the screen.

Hi Mike,

Do you mean I can control the volume at the time of grouping speakers, or after they have been grouped?

When I click on the loudspeaker picture on the bottom right of the screen (after the group is made) I see two volume sliders, one labeled ‘Master’ and one for the group/zone of Bluesound speakers. The handles on the sliders are connected by a line, indicating that they are connected. Indeed, when I move one slider the other moves too. I’m afraid I don’t see an option to control the volume of individual speakers within the Bluesound zone. But it could be I am missing something because I am fairly new to Roon.

Greetings,
Frans

Hi Frans,

This is what I get if I use Roon to group 2 bluesound speakers (1 Flex and 1 Pulse 2 in this case) - overall volume controlled by Master but individual colume of each speaker can also be varied.

Best wishes,

Mike.

Hi Mike,

I guess the difference between our situations is that I grouped the speakers with the Bluesound controller. That probably made Roon detect the group as a single audio output. I made the group in BlueOS because I wanted two speakers to act as a stereo pair (see this thread).
I will try to ungroup the speakers in BlueOS, then group the speakers in Roon while trying out the mixer control to get a stereo effect (as you kindly explained in the other thread). If that works I hope to have independent volume controls. I will test this later today and report back. And I wonder what happens if I group the speakers in BlueOS again after they have been grouped in Roon… The purpose of that would be to be able to use the Bluesound controller when Roon Core is unavailable.

Regards,
Frans

Hi Frans,

If you just want to change the LR balance in a stereo pair then another option might be to (a) set them up as a stereo pair in Bluesound app and then (b) use Speaker Setup in Roon DSP to vary the gain of the L or R channel.

Regards,

Mike.

I am sorry, but I am afraid the two threads are getting mixed up now because I can’t really separate the topics of (stereo) grouping and setting the volume independently.

Just now I thought I found a good solution: I ungrouped everything in Roon and BlueOS, rebooted the Bluesound Mini speaker (somehow I have to do that each time I ungroup it), then made a stereo pair in BlueOS and made a zone consisting of the stereo pair and the third speaker in Roon. In theory this got me what I wanted, because I was able to set the volume for the speaker pair and the third speaker independently. Also, the grouping is understood both by Roon and Bluesound. Unfortunately, the sound was horribly out of sync between the stereo pair and the third speaker, so I had to abandon this setup. My guess is that Roon audio zones and BlueOS speaker groups don’t mix.

So now I am trying the scenario where I ungroup everything in BlueOS, make a stereo group in Roon and then add the third speaker to that audio zone. But I am afraid I am getting lost in Roon settings when trying to set up a stereo pair. The only setting that seems to be applicable is DSP Engine > speaker setup. I tried using that but then the stereo pair got out of sync (albeit far less than in the other situation). Could there be another place to set left/right balance in a pair of speakers in Roon?

I have just noticed that the speaker in the kitchen being out of sync with the speakers in my living room is something that occurs irrespective of grouping in Bluesound. So I guess that is a separate issue. I will open another thread for this issue then.