Indexing (blue ring) never stops after rescan of a storage location on Windows Server 2019

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows Server 2019, Roon 1.7 (build 571)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Intel LAN

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Streaming with HQPlayer

Description Of Issue

When performing a rescan of one of the storage locations strange things happen (since a few weeks):

1. Roon reports to have found multiple thousands of new titles
  2. Roon “finished the import”
  3. Roon gives the status “done”, but the blue activity ring infinitely continues and the rescan is never done completely

The procedure is fully repeatable even after a restart of Roon.

I would start with a clean database, if playlists and favorites would be ex-/importable.

Hi @Stephan_Groth,

Can you please first reboot your Core, wait until you see this message, and then send me a copy of your Roon logs by using these instructions? If you don’t have a file transfer service, just let me know and I can provide one.

I uploaded all the logs and sent you the link. Thanks!

Hi @Stephan_Groth,

Thanks again for sending those logs and for your patience while I had a chance to review them.

I’m seeing Roon is importing the content as fresh for the first time as there only appear to be 3 log files, when I would expected 20 if this system had been running for some time (unless you manually removed them)?

As you noted in your PM, this piece of the log is interesting though:

08/11 10:16:57 Critical: [storage] [directory] Unhandled storage exception: System.ArgumentException: Im Index 69 wurde ein ungültiger Unicode-Codepunkt gefunden.
Parametername: strInput
   bei System.Text.Normalization.Normalize(String strInput, NormalizationForm normForm)
   bei Sooloos.Storage.NormalizedComparer.GetHashCode(String s)
   bei System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.FindEntry(TKey key)
   bei System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.TryGetValue(TKey key, TValue& value)
   bei Sooloos.Storage.DirectoryStorage._ScanDirectory(Boolean updatestatus, String scandirpath, Boolean recurse)
   bei Sooloos.Storage.DirectoryStorage.<>c__DisplayClass99_0.<_SpinWorkQueue>b__0()
08/11 10:16:57 Critical: [storage] [directory] Unhandled storage exception: System.ArgumentException: Im Index 69 wurde ein ungültiger Unicode-Codepunkt gefunden.

Are you trying to import any files with special characters? See Skipped Files Guide.

Hi @noris,

I just cleaned up the logs before following your request to focus on the problem.
The systems is now running for more that a year.

I can see this also from time to time in logs the error message with special caracters

This is to my understanding not to avoid, because this simply comes with bought music and is no problem for the file system

and also not for Roon

So, how can this block Roon from finishing the import?

In the meantime the spinning wheel stopped to my surprise.
But I hope that you can fix this, so rescanning becomes a usable function for my system again.

Hi @noris,

today I just added two new albums to the library. They showed up within seconds, but the blue ring is cycling for hours already. The path and filenames don’t contain any special characters at all…

Hi @Stephan_Groth,

Thanks for those additional details.

We have been testing Windows Server 2019 in the QA lab and we have found that we could not get it working using a standard install procedure and as such, we have removed support for this platform and updated our Minimum Requirements Doc

It might be possible to get Windows Server 2019 working with Roon by using further tweaks, but as to what those tweaks are, I cannot say.

I hope that this is not regarded as “a solution”.

Windows Server 2019 is the current official Windows Server OS version.
Simply declaring it as “not officially supported” might be acceptable for deprecated OS, but not for the most recent one (out for over a year!).

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.