Info/help on Minidsp U-DAC 8

@mitr That solved that sidebar issue, thank you. I now understand the promise of sound corrected multichannel!

I am still at a loss as to why HDMI audio doesn’t work in general on my i7 server, however. Any further ideas on your end? JCR

@mitr I have HDMI multichannel now working in both JRiver and Roon into my Marantz pre/pro – with Audyssey sound correction! As to Roon, see attached photos for the settings I used to get it to work.

And this is in Audiophile Optimizer minimal-core mode, no less.

Last piece is that when the i7 server HDMI video sleeps, it shuts down the HDMI audio. I believe there is a setting in AO to cause HDMI to stay on all of the time. Will look for that tonight.

I’m now ready for your explanation as to how to do multichannel sound correction within Roon for outputting through the miniDSP. Thanks. JCR

I see it but what did ROON show you that you picked: High Definition Audio Device? I will give it a shot this weekend.

I do not understand what your last question is.

[quote=“Jeffrey_Robbins, post:22, topic:27893”]
I’m now ready for your explanation as to how to do multichannel sound correction within Roon for outputting through the miniDSP.
[/quote]By miniDSP, do you mean the u-DAC8? If so, you need a program and microphone to do measurements and to calculate the correction filters. You can find information about this all over the Internet (and in my column) and they include RoomEQWizard, XTZ, Omnimic, Acourate, etc.

Yes, HDAD. Let me know if you succeed this weekend.

Understood re mic – I have a UMIK-1 – and program – I would go with REW. What nobody here, and nothing I’ve seen in your column, tells is how to do multichannel measurements for Roon. Only two channel. So, that’s what I was hoping for some help about. JCR

There’s nothing really unique to doing measurements for ROON. If you have any experience with REW, do your measurements as usual, preferably with more than one measurement point per speaker. Also, as usual, set up your EQ requirements and generate the filters. I transferred the PEQ filters by hand but you can also create and transfer convolution files.

The hard part is on the REW side, not ROON’s.

@mitr Did you have success this past weekend with HDMI multichannel? JCR

Not with Roon on my MacMini/Win7 box. Strange. It is the same box that runs JRiver to the Marantz via HDMI. I am going to try my MacBookPro next weekend.

@mitr I trust you set for exclusive mode? For me, it didn’t work without that. But, it is working great for me now. I’ve never heard multichannel sound so good. JCR

I’ll check.

@mitr What did you find out? JCR

I cannot check until the weekend when I get up to the house where the Marantz AV8802a lives.

Yes. With Exclusive Mode on, I do get MCH audio up to 24/192 with DSD converted to 24/176.2 No DSD out from the Mac, of course.

@mitr that is excellent to hear. Not that I am a mac guy, but HDMI multichannel doesn’t work that way?

So now the big question for you: am I likely to improve upon Roon HDMI multichannel into the Marantz / Audyssey XT32 by running REW and putting the filters into Roon and outputting using the miniDSP u-DAC8 (with Regen regenerator and iFi power, per your Stereophile recommendations), even if the analog multichannel inputs on my Marantz are inferior to those on the 8802a? Or do I call it a day with HDMI and move the miniDSP to a different system at home (as I have four rooms with multichannel setups). I’m just interested in your educated guess. JCR

I think “yes,” but…

The real answer depends on how adept you are at running REW and creating filters/convolutions that will be superior to what XT32 is now giving you. It is a far from automatic process at every step of the way and there is no guarantee of how much you will have to invest.

If you choose to do ROON DSP + REW, consider an intermediate solution. Send the PCM EQ-ed output over HDMI to the Marantz and set that input to “Direct,” thereby bypassing Audyssey and all local processing. That is comparable to what I am doing by running DiracLive on the PC and feeding it to my Marantz.

I think the miniDSP is a phenomenal value in a multichannel DAC but it is not necessarily superior to the DACs in your Marantz.

@mitr I think our HDMI digital inputs are the same between the two Marantzs. It’s your analog multichannel inputs that are said to be superior. So, that is something for me to try.

Have you actually used REW to create filters and input into Roon, or is Dirac live the only thing you’ve used? JCR

[quote=“Jeffrey_Robbins, post:35, topic:27893”]
I think our HDMI digital inputs are the same between the two Marantzs. It’s your analog multichannel inputs that are said to be superior. So, that is something for me to try.
[/quote]That’s why I suggested it.

[quote=“Jeffrey_Robbins, post:35, topic:27893”]
Have you actually used REW to create filters and input into Roon, or is Dirac live the only thing you’ve used?
[/quote]Only superficially to determine that it works. DL is just fine for me.