Initial playback of Live Radio is garbled, pitch is extremely slow

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
ROCK 1.7 B157

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Core is wired, endpoints are a mix of wired & wireless, remotes are wireless

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Naim NDS Network player through SonoreUPnP Bridge
Chromecast audio & other Chromecast devices

Description Of Issue
On occasion the initiating playback of Live Radio is garbled, playback pitch is extremely slow, making spoken word,e.g. the news, is not recognizable as spoken voice - the stopping and restarting the stream corrects this.
Occurs on all endpoints - wired & wireless

Hello @simon_pepper, thanks for the details! Do you experience this issue playing to the system output? Could you send me a screenshot of your signal path when this issue occurs? Thanks!

Sure, given it happens in multiple zones

I normally start a playback stream of Internet Radio to the ‘Bed & Bathroom’ zone (a Chromecast Group) and then transfer it to the SonoreUPnP zone, which is the NDS network player downstairs, to continue to consume the news, current affairs, weather and traffic updates (less important at present, given the commute is back upstairs to the study!).

Hey @simon_pepper thanks for the screenshots! I have a few more questions:

1. Have you disabled DSP and tried playback?
  2. Does this happen with other content besides radio?

No, just Internet Radio.

DSP is not enabled in these zones, it is whatever Roon needs to do to stream to that zone.

BTW It is not every time, playback of Internet Radio through these zones, but just sometimes.

Thanks,
Simon.

Hello @simon_pepper,

I spoke to our team about this issue and we had a few recommendations for you to try:

1. This could be caused by not having the latest version of FFMPEG, you can get the latest here.
  2. Could you send me the URL of the station you’re having the issue with?

ffmpeg on my ROCK server was from 20/1/2020
Updated to a version from 5/5/2020, but I think they are both from the 4.2.2 release

It’s RTE Radio 1, from the Live Radio database, which I added as one of the curators.
Stream is a MP3

However I see that RTE has updated its streaming provision and there is a ACC stream, so let me update all the RTE related stations.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.