Initial setup advice please

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10/Intel i7 @4700k 16 GB RAM/latest roon build yet to be installed

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

ethernet or Wi-Fi connectivity available, Wi-Fi is mesh

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Auralic Aries G1 via Wi-Fi

Description Of Issue

I need to know how much disk space is required to install the OS and databases.

I have a 111GB SSD HD sitting idle but it is not my main C drive, I would prefer to use it if possible as I only have about 52 GB available on my 256GB main C drive because of windows etc.

I will install a separately powered and enclosed 2 TB SSD with the 25,000 albums I currently own.

So, what advice can you give me on setting something up under these circumstances… And no, I can’t buy a separate NUC so that’s not an option?

Thanks in advance

welcome to the community!

Roon needs to install on the boot drive. and maybe won’t use much space if you do backups to another drive. The database grows based on your library so a small library needs not a lot of space. I have 275K tracks in my library and its only about 20GB for the database.

thank you, that’s useful.

But how big is the actual roon OS software itself?

I don’t recall sorry as I don’t run Windows any more. I use ROCK

It’s not big , the library is the main concern, I’ll look when I get near my pc , but <1gig

1 Like

Complete Roon about 500 Mb. RoonServer about 200 Mb.

My library of about 18,000 tracks uses another 3 GB.

1 Like

Just to be clear, you would be installing the Windows Roon program. NOT using the Roon OS software which is a different thing completely.

2 Likes

You might be able to get around this the Windows equivalent of *nix symlinks. It’s quite a while since I’ve tried this though.

1 Like

thank you, I will give this a go

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.