Initial Setup on NUC 10i7FNH - Unable to proceed with setup

Hello,

Excited to start my Roon journey. Frustrated by setup and what seems like unlimited options for setting up NUC. There are so many different suggested solutions and yet I’m unable to get NUC setup.

I am having issues with initial setup of ROCK on my new NUC.

Per Roon recommendations, I just purchased new:

• NUC10i7FNH
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus Series - 250GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V7S250B/AM)
  • Crucial 8GB Single DDR4 2400 MT/S (PC4-19200) SR x8 SODIMM 260-Pin Memory - CT8G4SFS824A

I also am using a brand new Sandisk thumbnail drive to boot from.

I have followed instructions to the letter as specified by Roon on hardware install of RAM and memory.
I have made exact adjustments to BIOS settings as specified by Roon.

I have loaded Roon image file by using thumb drive as specified. I downloaded image file to thumb drive using Etcher. I have tried to load this file to NUC both without unzipping and also after unzipping. (Each time I formatted thumb drive before reloading fresh file through Etcher to NUC.).

I have attempted to load 20+ times. Each time resetting BIOS on NUC (f9, then reset BIOS, then attempt to load Roon image file). One time - After what I thought was a valid install - I went in and changed boot order (unchecked boot from USB first. On only 1 attempt was I able to proceed “normally” when prompts came up to initialize Roon.

After this one time where install seemed like Roon was loaded and the prompt asked me if I wanted to reboot, I have been unable to proceed. The screen is blank when I boot from thumb drive. When attempting to boot normally I get a boot error message-

“Reboot and select proper boot device or insert media in selected boot device and press key.”

I then loaded Ubuntu desktop onto NUC to be sure that it functions properly. It does without issue.

I am at a loss as to why this is so difficult, as I have bought exact specified equipment and followed exact directions only to be stymied each time I try to boot the NUC.

Is there something I am missing with regards to BIOS settings? Or something else? I cannot believe that I am the only one trying to get a NUC running ROCK and unable to proceed.

Any suggestions?

Moved to support area.

Are you absolutely certain you have disabled legacy boot? If you haven’t, this would explain why Ubuntu works and ROCK does not.

1 Like

I’m looking at the “configure your Bios on Roon right now. It says “Use ‘Legacy’ not ‘UEFI’ on boot priority screen.

Does this post help?

I think I used f12 during boot to select usb stick

Hi @John_McGuigan,

It’s been some time since your original post, but I wanted to check in to see if you’re still experiencing problems setting up your Core.

The tech support team will be watching for your response. Thank you!

Hi Connor,

Yes, I was able to get up and running after changing TV setting in BIOS.

Thanks,

John

1 Like

Which BIOS setting?

Not sure which screen it is on- I’ve moved NUC and no longer have it hooked up to a monitor.

I putzed around for 3days and was ready to give up.

I googled NUC10 (my unit’s generation) Boot Issues and came across an obscure post regarding tv settings. The scenario that the op laid out was the exact same for me- when booting from the thumb drive, the screen kind of “flickered” like it was in some sort of loop, while remaining black. The orange “disc clocking light” would pulse 4 times. Then nothing.

I went in and unchecked the tv box and viola! The next time I booted up, the ROON prompts came up asking me the setup questions.

Hope this is some help- this was a lot more painful than it should have been. I’m no IT expert, but seems like it would be pretty easy to set up documentation with different options for different bios versions/NUC versions in a searchable database.

1 Like

I was just curious. I don’t recall seeing a TV related BIOS setting on my two NUCs (11i7 and 10i5)

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.