Inserting a Mac Mini into an existing setup for sound processing/usb output

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

NUC running ROCK build number 1.8 (764)/IPad remote same build.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

NUC connects to via Ethernet to English Electric switch, which in turn connects to the internet and to a second switch (Etherregen). My digital pre-amp connects via the latter switch (used as a standard 1gb port).

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Meridian 818v3 digital pre-amp connecting to Meridian DSP speakers (5k2SE)

Description Of Issue

The above setup works fine. I am trying to insert a Mac Mini M1 (MM) into the above system to trial some sound processing software. The idea is to connect the MM to Roon via the Etherregen switch and output the signal from the MM to the Meridian 818 via usb. (Wi-fi is turned off on the MM). I have installed Roon Bridge on the MM.

I’m not sure how this should appear in the audio settings within Roon (as seen by the IPad remote) but I was expecting that the MM or a second Meridian zone (connected via usb) to be made available which could then be selected for playback. However the only option remains the icon for Ethernet connection to 818. If I remove the Ethernet cable to the 818 then that options disappears and no other option to connect to the 818 is available. The sound processing software has not yet been installed.

The MM and the 818 are set up for output to the 818 via usb in the MM audio/midi settings and outputs sound to the speakers in the test option from within the speaker configuration screen.

I guess I’m not understanding something here but I have come to a complete dead end trying to work it out, so any help/advice would be very welcome, especially if couched in simple technical terms!

Hello @Clembo ,

Do you by any chance have any firewalls running on the Mac Mini? If so, please try to disable any firewall as it may prevent Roon from seeing zones properly. If you try to install the Roon app on the Mac Mini, do other audio zones appear as expected, or do no zones show up at all?

Thanks. I gave up trying to run Roon And the Mac mini. Instead I have loaded Roon directly to the Mac and all is now working fine.

I appreciate the response though.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.