Install/Add NAA on Roon Rock (Intel nuc)

There’s a lot of hardware that is somewhere between RPi3 and NUC. Although of course NUC should also work fine as a NAA.

Not to be a bother, but just for fun I borrowed a friends rpi4 and created an usb with the naa image (for rpi4) and the same issue again, no nic/ipadress.

Remove NAA usb and boot into raspberryy pi os and network is found, ip assigned, no confoguration required.

So are there steps required tonget the NAA images for raspberry to work?

I have zero linux skills, have no clue where or when to enter ifconfig (is it even possible on the NAA boot?)

No, nothing needs to be done, just plugin ethernet, your DAC and boot up the image. It’ll get IP for the ethernet interface from your home network’s DHCP server.

Or in my case it wont :wink:

Then either you don’t have DHCP server accessible, or you for some reason have more than one ethernet interface, such as some USB device with ethernet interface.

But the image is pretty black and white, it either works, or it doesn’t.

1 Like

Fair points !

I see from another post that you created a USB image for the RPi4. Can you get a spare SD card and install the NAA OS image on that? Insert the SD card into the RPi4 SD slot, plug in ethernet, USB cable to dac, then power up. That setup should be plug 'n play.

3 Likes

Hm in what way would the SD card work better than the USB? As both are the same image and booth boot fine, only issue is that no network or network card (as far as I can tell) is detected.

But I will try!

Just try it, then report back.

2 Likes

That actually made it work!
Thanks Dean!

I also got it to work using roopie xl which has a hqplayer naa option.

2 Likes

In my testing, when using USB boot, set the bootloader to USB first then SD. Leave a functioning SD card in the RPi4 SD slot and then insert the USB stick with bootable image into one of the Pi4 USB slots. Power up, should be good to go with networking and NAA from the USB stick.

1 Like

That will load everything else except kernel from the SD card. And likely cause trouble in future if the two are out of sync. And certainly lacks any point in such exercise. The image is made for booting from SD card, not from USB. I don’t see any point in booting it from USB instead of microSD.

3 Likes

I agree, just playing around today. Booting from microSD is problem free and I would not recommend using USB to boot the NAA image on the RPi4.

1 Like