Install issue: Local sound devices not found? Strange devices found

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Qnap TVS-871 OS V4.4.2

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Network based on Netgear switches. Dedicated firewall to the Internet. Multiple zones in the home with firewall as choke point. Local devices run their own firewalls as well and there are several different vendor solutions: MS, Eset, Norton, Symantec currently.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

This is the issue area: Core (I think) reports 5 Intel HDMI devices with no other information. Remote works to my android phone. Squeeze server currently disabled as all Sqz devices are on a separate Vlan than the core and Roon can’t find them. My local system’s sound devices don’t seem to appear.

Description Of Issue

Core installed and seems to work fine. Installed remote and output parts of Roon on one of my home PC’s. Roon runs and finds core. Imported library which took 3 days to complete. When I go to Settings/audio to try to find which devices I can access and see what they are, I get a listing of 5 Intel HDMI devices. I don’t see any locally labeled devices as I do on my phone. I tried various discovery methods but all I get is Roon searching on into infinity.

PC in question is an Alienware R10 system running windows 10 1909. Device manager reports 4 audio devices: NVIDIA (2 devices), Realtek (audio has multiple functions supporting headphones [separate front and rear, optical s/sdif, 7.1 output, digital coax output.], and Tandberg (camera). cpu is AMD ryzen 3950. 64-bit os.

A potentially related issue is that my core NAS is running Roon server, was running Twonky, DNLA, and Qnap media streaming. I turned Twonky off as it seems to want to use port 9000 which you may use. Since I want Roon to replace SQZ Server, I’ll need 9000 for that purpose also. If room server is not running, windows media player on my system finds the QNAP streaming source. Once Roon is running, the QNAP library disappears.

Try turning off all firewalls and antivirus in the windows machine and see if that corrects the issue

Turn off firewalls, if it works then add this lot of exceptions when you bring it back up

1 Like

Thanks to all who replied. It appears the firewall adjustments worked. I now have local PC connections.

Hello @robert_merritt, glad things are working again! Please let us know if you have further issues.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.