Installation not possible

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

OS-name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763
Annen OS-beskrivelse Ikke tilgjengelig
System type x64-based PC
System-SKU To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Prosessor Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz, 2800 Mhz, 2 kjerne®, 2 logiske prosessor(er)
BIOS-version/-date American Megatrends Inc. 2203, 08.07.2009
SMBIOS-version 2.5
Version of built in controller 255.255
BIOS-modus Older
Mother board producer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Mother board P5Q-EM
Mother board version 1.xx
Platformrolle Skrivebord
Hardware Abstraction Layer Versjon = “10.0.17763.831”
Tidssone West-Europe (normal time)
Installed physical memory (RAM) 4,00 GB

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Navn: Ethernet 3
Beskrivelse: Intel® Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V #2
Fysisk adresse (MAC): 30:9c:23:1c:b0:15
Maksimal overføringsenhet: 1500
Koblingshastighet (mottak/sending): 1000/1000 (Mbps)
DHCP aktivert: Ja
DHCP-servere: 192.168.10.1

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Bricasti Design Model 1 USB DAC

Description Of Issue

Unable to install Roon, error message:
“Roon could not find WGL functions required to initialize OpenGL.
It is likely that the proper drivers for your display hardware are not installed.
Up-to-Date drivers should be available from the website of your computer or GPU manufacurer.”

However my drivers are up to date.

Please advise to [email removed]

Tagging @support for you. They’ll reply to this thread.

BTW - don’t put your e-mail address in posts.

Hello @Eirik_Jensen,

Thanks for reaching out, we handle all support here on this community site, you should get an email with my reply but to respond back, you will need to do so on this current thread (Installation not possible).

As for the issue, I would try updating your Intel Drivers:

I would also confirm you have the latest .NET framework:

I downloaded the Intel Driver and Support Assistant, but it reported that there were now driver updates available, which was as expected - all my drivers are updated.
I then downloaded .NET Framework 4.8, but it reported that this or a more recent version was already installed.
I then tried again to install Roon, but got the same error message.

Should you use the integrated graphics solution, this GPU is not supported. OpenGL 3.0 support is required to run Roon.

grafik

See also FAQ: What are the minimum requirements?.

Here is the error message:

Hi @Eirik_Jensen,

It sounds like this PC doesn’t have OpenGL 3.0+ capabilities based on @BlackJack’s findings. OpenGL 3 and above is required to run the full Roon app on the PC as Roon is very similar to a video game in terms of architecture (by using OpenGL for displaying the user interface).

Since running the full Roon version is not possible, I would suggest using another PC to host the Roon Core, or if you don’t require control from this PC, you could try installing Roon Server which shouldn’t have these requirements.

RoonServer is the Roon Core, but it doesn’t have a user interface, it will need to be controlled from another PC or a compatible Roon Remote (iOS/Android). You can find Roon Server on our downloads section: https://roonlabs.com/downloads.html

Thanks for your suggestions. I have actually also already installed Roon on another PC in my basement, with a separate hi fi setup, which is working ok. The problem is with my dedicated music server upstairs (Both access Tidal and my NAS with my music).
So my question is: if I install Roon Server on my downstairs pc, will I then be able to control Roon from my upstairs pc which does not have the OpenGL 3.0+ capabilities? Further: is such a capability a hardware or software issue (i.e. what would it take to get my music server to have such capabilities?)

Hi @Eirik_Jensen,

Unfortunately not. If the Upstairs PC does not have OpenGL 3.0 capabilities, opening the Roon Interface will not be possible.

What you can do here is install Roon Server on the upstairs PC and use the downstairs PC (with OpenGL 3+) to control it or use an iOS/Android Remote to control it.

If you install Roon Server on the upstairs PC, this means that you can power off the downstairs PC without shutting off the Core.

The important thing to determine here is - which PC do you wish to leave on the most and has access to your media library? If you have an external USB drive with music for example, then it makes sense to use the upstairs PC to host the Roon Core.

If you are only using TIDAL and a NAS, then the downstairs PC can function as a Roon Core and communication will occur via the network (assuming the NAS is on the network and not connected via USB).

If you don’t need to host the Roon Core in the upstairs computer but you need access to the audio devices connected to the upstairs PC, then you can install Roon Bridge on the upstairs PC. Roon Bridge has no interface so you would still need to control it from the downstairs PC or a compatible Roon Remote.

You can add a cheap graphics card to the upstairs PC which has OpenGL 3.0, if it has room inside.
Googling ‘cheapest graphics card with opengl 3’ shows several under £40 (UK GBP).

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.