Installation problems

Hey Guys, I need some help!
Am in the process of shifting from Roon Core on Mac Mini (which was not working smoothly) to Roon ROCK on NUC8i3BEH.
Have installed memory and SSD with double the recommended capacity ie [Transcend SOLID STATE DRIVE 3D Nand Flash Chip 128gb] and [Crucial CT8G4SFS8266 8GB Memory (DDR4)].
Have successfully made a flash drive with Roon OS as directed in the Knowledge Base.
Have tried to set up the NUC BIOS as specified in the Knowledge Base - but potentially something is not optimised here - as after a successful install of Roon OS from the flash drive, I am now getting the message ā€œA bootable device has not been detectedā€.
Any ideas what to try?
Thanks!
Mike

On the NUC BIOS interface, did you?

• Enable Legacy boot, and not UEFI.
  • Set your boot order to boot from your SSD or M.2 first.
  • Disable network boot.
  • Enable USB boot, but make sure your SSD or M.2 has boot priority.

(Instructions copied and edited from a tutorial that a member, @Rugby I believe, posted here not long time ago).

Also, according to another member:
ā€œSomething I realized about the new Bios is that you have to make one change at a time and save. Otherwise any other options associated with the change wonā€™t appear.ā€

2 Likes

Thank you Jose L.
I had tried to do that. I think it was me not ā€˜making one change at a timeā€™ that led to the error.
Have been back through the BIOS, ensured everything is as specified (taking pictures of screens in case necessary to share) and rebooted.
Now seems fine, am on to dealing with missing codecs.
Fingers crossed all will be smooth from now, will pick up the rest this evening after work.
Have to say this has been an adventure for a plug and play Apple guy - never done any of this stuff before :slight_smile:.
Thanks to the forum for being such a great support network.
Mike

2 Likes

Hi, I need help
When I click F10 for boot from usb whit image flash, the bios ā€œseeā€ only IPv6 and IPv4, not usb, not M.2; if in the bios I enable boot from usb the bios donā€™t ā€œseeā€ usb unit and put an red asterisk ā€¦
thanks
Maurizio

ok, i have installed!
But now Iā€™ve message ā€œmissing codecsā€ ā€¦ which ffmpeg between those in www.johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/? all?

Follow these instructions:
https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_OS_Missing_Codecs

Same thing here:

!

Yes, Iā€™ve seen the instructions, but I donā€™t know which file I must download ā€¦ā€¦ Iā€™ve NUC Intel NUC8i7BEH

https://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/builds/ffmpeg-git-amd64-static.tar.xz

I download the fille, uncompressed the ā€œxzā€, extract file ffmpeg-git-amd64-static.tar, copied this file in the directory data/codecs, reboot rock, but ā€¦ ā€œmissing codecsā€ ā€¦

Did you, as the instructions indicate, do the second un-compress?

It doesnā€™t look like you did.

ops ā€¦. you are right, sorry ā€¦. i do the second unzip and now itā€™s ok! thanks!!!

1 Like