Installed new mesh WiFi system, Roon zones vanished

Roon Core Machine

Macbook Pro 2020

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Eero Mesh system

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I recently swapped out an Airport Extreme Apple wifi network and installed an Eero network. Since doing this, my Roon Zones have disappeared. The only ones that remain are “System Output”, and the name of the laptop where my core is stored. Neither iPhones, iPads nor the Airport Expresses that are still on the network appear as Roon Zones. Has anyone else had this problem, know what to do? Thanks.

Have you read through the networking best practises guide in the knowledge base?

Mesh isn’t without it’s problems (it was the root of mine, so I don’t use it) if not configured to work as per Roon’s advice.

1 Like

The Networking Best Practices guide mentioned by @Mark_Valentine is here:

If you use a primary router (perhaps from ISP) in conjunction with the EERO, the EERO needs to be set to Bridge mode.

Thanks for this. Until a a couple of weeks ago, keeping my wifi network up and running required constant tinkering and even so, devices intermittently and randomly fell off the network all the time, bandwidth was wildly inconsistent … constant problems. I installed an Eero network a couple of weeks back and now, everything works: I’ve never had a trouble-free two-week period in the 10+ years I’ve lived here. The only thing that isn’t working is Roon.

So, I’m reluctant to start tinkering with the network to get the one thing that isn’t working up and running.

I’m hoping that there might be a different solution, one that doesn’t require changing network settings. Any ideas?

Coincidentally, my Roon subscription is up for renewal at the end of the month. I’d love to keep using Roon, but if I have to let it go, now is a good time.

I’m not familiar with the Eero system (I use a bunch of Deco M9’s), so can’t advise in any more detail, but @wklie’s point is worth checking, i.e. make sure that your core is on the same network as the different zones. If not, there’s no way they’ll be able to task to one another.

The modem comes from my ISP, but everything else is Eero (3 Eero devices serve both as my primary router and as WAP/extenders). There’s only one Eero network.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

In which case I hope support have something useful to add. Good luck.

1 Like

Many ISP modem nowadays is actually also a router. Find out the modem brand and model.

How is your MacBook Pro connected to the network? WiFi?

Disable the Mac Firewall.

Is the modem a WiFi access point, also? If so, turn off the WiFi in the modem and make sure your devices are connecting to the mesh network. I have been using Eero Pro system for a while and it works well. The eero does not necessarily need to be in bridged mode as someone earlier stated. You just need to make sure the devices are all on the same network (WiFi and wired).

It’s not really a modem, it’s a POE injector. I never set up the Mac Firewall.

My Macbook Pro (which is where the core is) is connected to the network wirelessly – I have no ethernet connections anywhere on my network, it’s not possible for me to get a wired connection.

It’s not a modem, it’s a POE injector that’s connected to my Eero router with an ethernet cable. Otherwise there are no wired connections on my network.

That sounds similar to what I have now I think, I was just upgraded to fiber in the house and there is no modem anymore just an ethernet cable from the ISP. When you installed the Eero did you use the same SSID (WiFi network name) and settings as what was on the airport extreme?

Although, I have my core wired to the eero via ethernet and use a switch to wire the components together. I only use wireless for control/remotes.

This may be silly but the zones will only show up if Roon (remote) is actually running on the iPhones and iPads.

While that may have worked in the past ( although from one of your posts never trouble free) it is not Roon recommended practice to have the core on WiFi.
It will only cause problems down the road.
I know that does not help with your present issue but it should be taken into account for the future.

If your Eero devices have an Ethernet port that may be a way of connecting the core via Ethernet.

Is that an Eero 6 or Eero 5 Pro? I believe multiple users here have Eero 5 Pro working in Roon.

This post documents problems with Eero 6:

Assuming you still have the Apple router, restore it for routing and DHCP services, but disable the WiFi. Turn the Eero into bridge mode.

here is a FAQ on putting eero into bridge mode:

Key points are that you can no longer manage advanced features (eero secure and advanced network settings through the app, etc) and at least one eero is required to be wired to the router when you do this. They recommend putting the upstream router/modem into bridge mode not the eero so that you can still use the advanced features.

I have an Eero 5.

I don’t have flexibility about placement of the router and because of that, nothing is or every has been connected by ethernet to the network (my Roon core has been connected by wifi for the past year). The previous Apple Airport wifi network was on-the-whole infuriatingly unstable, but Roon worked fine.

From comments here, it does sound like I could tinker with the network some more and if I get it just right, Roon might work, but to be honest, I’m blown away that the Eero system is working for me out-of-the-box, without tinkering. Roon is the only thing that is NOT working so I’m now thinking, as sad as I am to give it up, Roon will be the one casualty of finally having a wifi network that just works.

I just noticed that you said there are “Airport Expresses that are still on the network”. Are they still trying serve as access points (APs). In other words, is wifi routing/DHCP still turned on in these units and are they serving up their own separate wifi networks? If so, they may be what is causing confusion in the network as to where things are connecting over wifi. You might try turning off all devices that could possibly serve as a wifi AP and only leave the eero network on.

Is there a reason you would still need the Airport expresses if the eero is what is serving as your wifi network?

Also, to restate it, This may be silly but, the zones will only show up if Roon (remote) is actually running on the iPhones and iPads. Did you try starting Roon on your iPhone and/or iPad and see if it sees the Roon server that is running on the core machine? This is just me digging for more info and to make sure we understand what you are seeing.

Just to check, when you say in your original post that your zones have disappeared, do you mean they have disappeared from the zone picker (bottom right of the Roon control app screen) or that they’ve disappeared from the audio section of setup? If it’s the former you may just need to re-enable them in Setup → Audio. I suspect this isn’t the case, i.e. you’ve checked, and they’re not visible in the settings either, but re-reading your original post made me wonder.