Roon Core Machine

UBUTU Linux 22.04 LTS (latest version)
64 bit
Dnome version 42.1

Toshiba Satellite T135
4.0 GiB memory
Processor intel CPU U4100 @1.30 GHZ

Networking Gear & Setup Details

I am connected to the internet via wifi. it is TP Link DECO M5 firmware version 1.5.7 build 20210819 rel. 43499

Connected Audio Devices

I use Tidal and have a BlueSound Node 2i that I am using on a Win 11 machine. I want to stop using the win 11 machine for roon as I get dropouts and freezes. Thus the linux installation.

Number of Tracks in Library

Not important at this point, but it is alarge library on a NAS setup.

Description of Issue

I can’t get Roon to run on the LINUX setup. I should say I am a newbie to LINUX, knowlege of OS is nil.

Roon does not seem to be running. I don’t see the Roon process in the System Monitor.

Here is the installation log:

tomkiki1@tomkiki1-Satellite-T135:~/Downloads$ sudo ./roonserver-installer-linuxx64.sh

Welcome to the RoonServer installer

This installer sets up RoonServer to run on linux with the following
settings:

• RoonServer will be installed in /opt/RoonServer
  • RoonServer’s data will be stored in /var/roon/RoonServer
  • RoonServer will be configured to run as a system service
  • RoonServer will run as root

These settings are suitable for turning a dedicated or semi-dedicated
device
into an appliance that runs RoonServer

If you want customize how RoonServer is installed, see:

http://kb.roonlabs.com/LinuxInstall

Do you want to install RoonServer on this machine? [Y/n] y

Downloading RoonServer_linuxx64.tar.bz2 to
/tmp/tmp.7OwJ9pPsZc/RoonServer_linuxx64.tar.bz2

###################################################################################################
100.0%

Unpacking RoonServer_linuxx64.tar.bz2…Done

Checking to see if RoonServer can run on this machine

Checking for Binary Compatibility [   OK   ]
 Checking for ALSA Libraries [   OK   ]
 Checking for ffmpeg or avconv [   OK   ]
 Checking for the mount.cifs command [   OK   ]
 Checking for libicu [   OK   ]
 Testing ulimit -n 8192 [   OK   ]

Copying Files…Done
Failed to stop roonserver.service: Unit roonserver.service not loaded.

Installing /etc/systemd/system/roonserver.service

Enabling service roonserver…
Created symlink
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/roonserver.service →
/etc/systemd/system/roonserver.service.
Service Enabled

Starting service roonserver…
Service Started

All Done! RoonServer should be running on your machine now.

I have rebooted my computer and still I can’t find the Roon Application.

Any suggestions would be of great help

Hi Thomas,

Fellow user here, but, that last comment is potentially confusing. Could you clarify what you mean.

For example,

• Are not seeing Roonserver and Raatserver as processes?
  • Are you expecting a GUI program on Ubuntu (there isn’t Roonserver which installs has no graphic component)?
  • Are you trying to connect via Roon Client on the Toshiba and not finding a Core?
  • Something Else?

Thomas,

There is no application with graphical user interface on Linux. You are running Roon server in the background as a service. To see the status of the running Roon server, on the command line do the following:

sudo systemctl status roonserver.service

That said, I think you are bound to have a bad experience with your setup. Running Roon on an old laptop with a slow processor, 4 GB RAM and connected via WiFi — I’d say this will not give you the results you are looking for. And even less so with a large local library on a NAS, as you say. Don’t say you haven’t been warned…

1 Like

Absolutely. The Intel U4100 with 4GB memory is a non-starter, and has a benchmark score of 476. In contrast, a NUC8i3BEH, which was recommended for running Roon, has a score of 4301.

This will not even run the 22.04 Gnome GUI well… this hardware simply is not suitable for the purpose.

Thanks, it is running.

I was hoping it would have a graphical interface.

It sounds like I should just stop and forget about trying to get Roon off of my working WIN machine. I’ll just live with the random freezes and dumps. I was just hoping I could utilize the Toshiba dinosaur.

Thanks for your help (everyone!)

Tom

1 Like

Tom, running Roon server on a Linux machine in itself is a good idea. Just not on the dinosaur…

2,5 years ago, when I started out with Roon, the first thing I did was assembling a reasonably well configured machine dedicated to running Roon Core. It was first set up with Ubuntu 18.04, later updated to Ubuntu 20.04, and it is now running Ubuntu 22.04 server. It is a very stable and well-performing setup for, at the moment, 226.000 tracks in the Roon library.

If you ever wish to set up a nice Core machine, feel free to contact me privately, and we can go through your requirements and options.

Good luck!

1 Like

With the Toshiba, yes. However, running Roon Server on Linux with appropriate hardware, and controlling with a mobile, tablet or your Windows laptop is a good idea.

Open a new thread in #support, following this guide, and you’ll receive assistance to help resolve this.

1 Like

Thanks, I may just do that at some point, Just not at the moment.

Tom

This topic was automatically opened after 15 hours.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.