Installed Roon version 1.8 build 1105 and now I can't change the Channel Layout to 5.1 in Device Setup

Roon Core Machine

iMac 2011 running OSX Yomemite 10.10.5

Networking Gear & Setup Details

My music library is in a hard disk drive connected directly to the iMac through a USB port.

Connected Audio Devices

Yamaha RX A3070 connected with HDMI to the iMac

Number of Tracks in Library

12,000 tracks

Description of Issue

I just installed the latest Roon version 1.8 build 1105 and now I’m unable to change the Channel Layout to 5.1 in the Device Setup.
This was a recurrent and rather random problem when I turned on the stereo TV connected to the Yamana amplifier through HDMI - I guess Roon or the iMac identified the stereo TV as the last component in the HDMI chain and blocked the Channel Layour as 2.0. I always solved it by simply turning off the TV.
However, after installing 1.8 build 1105 a couple of hours ago, the Channel Layout field is blocked (non-updatable) as 2.0 even with the TV off. I have tried restarting Roon and the iMac, turning off and on the Yamaha keeping the TV off, but nothing is working.
Your help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Alfredo

Sorry - audio device is Yamaha RX A3070, not RX A7030

I edited the model number for you.

Is there a configuration setting on the Yamaha to force that specific HDMI input to support 5.1 instead of 2.0? Also, have you configured your Mac to support 5.1 over the HDMI output in the Audio MIDI application?

The answer to your first question is no. The Yamaha will simply receive up to 9.1 audio depending on what is sent. Today, after my initial post, I did a test with a separate media player (non-Roon) connected to another of the Yamaha’s HDMI ports and it was able to receive and play 5.1 audio without problems.
No, I didn’t do any special configuration in the Mac - up to the moment before installing the lastest Roon version, I was able to send 5.1 from the Mac without any issues, provided that the TV set was off, always checking that the Channel Layout value was set to “5.1”. .
I will connect the Mac to the yamaha HDMI port that is working ok with the media player and let you know if that works, but I doubt it. Thanks for your help so far !

Well, what do you know - now it’s working again ! After switching input sources in the Yamaha, and then putting everything back as before, I was finally able to update the Channel Layout to 5.1 (?!)
Still, there is something erratic in the connection between iMac->Yamaha->TV that at times blocks the Channel Layout field to 2.0. I still haven’t been able to pinpoint it or reproduce it (and believe me, I have tried all imaginable on/off sequences for all components). It probably is some HDMI craziness.
I guess we can close this thread, if in future I hit again a showstopper I’ll let you know.
Thank you for your help Robert.

2 Likes

Glad to hear you are up and running again.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.