Installing Internal Storage on Nucleus

If you want your backup on the Mac, you would create a Shared Folder on it:
https://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_How_do_I_create_a_shared_folder_on_Mac_and_add_it_as_a_watched_folder_in_Roon%3F

@Geoff_Coupe @grossmsj Thanks. I just plugged in a thumb drive into the Nucleus and backed up to it. Just out curiosity , When I had the core installed on my Mac, how was I able to back up to it?

1 Like

The Nucleus is a music appliance; your Mac is a general-purpose computer, with far more flexibility in how storage can be handled. It is possible on the Mac to define your Backup folders to be on the same physical drive as your music folders. The KISS principle followed by the Nucleus appliance doesnā€™t allow for the same flexibility

1 Like

Thanks all. Now back to the initial issue. Why wouldnā€™t my Mac recognize the HD that was attached(and working) on the Nucleus ?

Iā€™m not a Mac user, so I couldnā€™t say. Googling the error message took me into an Apple developersā€™ forum where they didnā€™t seem to be able to come up with a firm answer either.

1 Like

Hi @Larry_Gelman,

Glad to hear you got the backup working on the external USB drive! As for the drive that you previously used with Nucleus - have you tried rebooting the Mac or plugging the drive into another PC yet? Perhaps something regarding your MacOS install is preventing mounting the drive.

@noris. Thanks. Yes tired rebooting my Mac and installing the drive on another computer. No help. I wondering if I unmounted it incorrectly from the Nucleus? Is that possible? Iā€™m going to wait a day or so, Then Iā€™ll try to erase it and reformat the drive. Then Iā€™ll copy the files from the nucleus to it.

@Larry_Gelman -

I havenā€™t seen un-mounting issues in the past, but was the Nucleus powered off when you removed it? If so, it should have been fine to remove.

Sure, that is one option. I would be very careful though when re-formatting drives that contain your entire music library and double or triple check that you have all the contents on Internal Storage or in another location before deleting the contents of your music drive.

1 Like

Thanks @noris. At this point shouldnā€™t I have a viable copy of my music on the Nucleus? Thatā€™s where I was planning of coping from to the newly formatted drive?

Hi @Larry_Gelman,

Yes, the files on the Nucleus should be viable, I would just check to make sure that all of the media files and folders have been transferred, because for example if you find out at a later time you accidentally forgot to transfer one of your music folders to the Nucleus and the USB drive was formatted, the folder wouldnā€™t exist anymore. Does that make sense?

Itā€™s always a good idea to keep multiple backups of important documents/info such as your music files, and while you can certainly transfer the files from the Nucleus back on to the USB drive after formatting it, I always like to err on the side of caution when performing tasks which have a potential for files to get lost.

1 Like