Installing required Roon software on different devices

I have all my music stored on a MacMini (in iTunes collection) connected to a DAC and my audio system. It is remotely controlled through an iPad. I’d like to use Roon to remotely control the Mac Mini music with both my MacBook Pro and my iPad.
What Roon software must be downloaded to each of the 3 devices (MacMini, MacBook Pro, iPad)…???

Thanks

Hey @Dennis_Thompson – you’ll probably want to install Roon on the Mac Mini first, and during setup, choose to manage your library on that computer.

You can find information about setting up your DAC here, and if your iTunes library is stored in the normal location, you can enable it on the Storage tab of Settings. Let me know if you have issues with that.

Once Roon is installed and setup on the Mac Mini, you can install Roon on the other two devices, and choose to run as a Remote during setup. Some more info on that can be found here.

Let me know how it goes!

Thanks Mike, Before I go any farther on a Roon setup on my Mac Mini, I want to pass on my Mac Mini hardware and software to see if this will even work…
Software: OSX 10.9.5
Hardware: Mac Mini mid 2010, 512 GB SSD. Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Memory: 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR 3. Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB.

Only the basic software is installed, all unnecessary programs are turned off or disabled to get the best sound through the Amarra Hi-Fi audio program.

I have about 1000 albums on the Mac Mini in iTunes…

So will this work…?

Denny

Hey @Dennis_Thompson – my advice would be to give the free trial a shot and see how it goes. That machine runs a Core 2 Duo, which is a little under powered for Roon, but I think it should perform fine for a collection that size.

If you plan to do all your control of Roon from the iPad and the MacBook Pro, you might want to install RoonServer on the Mac Mini, which should help you squeeze a little more performance out of that CPU.

And if you have any problems getting up and running, let me know!