Not Applicable

Trying to install bridge on an AMD Nuc type pc running Cent OS server

Networking Gear & Setup Details

unifi throughout

Connected Audio Devices

a USB DAc

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I have installed roon bridge via SSH onto Cent OS. It says install successful and it should be running

Here is output:

[root@localhost ~]# sudo systemctl status roonserver.service
Unit roonserver.service could not be found.

Suggesting its not running

[root@localhost ~]# sudo systemctl start roonserver.service
Failed to start roonserver.service: Unit not found.

Can someone help me out here. I have installed this way a number of times in the past without issue. But not in the past few years, has anything changed with how to install?

If you installed roon bridge you should try:
systemctl status roonbridge.service

Oh yeah! der!
Well its running but my dac is not seen and its not seen in Roon ‘about’ section either.

Is it possible the linux installer page has installed 1.8 or something? The dac has been used on the end of other roon bridges without issue

Please note that I’m a fellow user, not support.
The current version of roon bridge is version 1.8 build 1125 stable.
Is the dac switched on? If it is switched on and properly connected I would try to power cycle the dac.
It could also be that other audio software is exclusively accessing the dac.

2 Likes

nope none of these things.

I hate linux!

If this is all you did then I suspect that it likely won’t run. Based on my experience with CentOS 7 you need to provide sufficient rights in SELinux first and then for the bridge to be seen, you also need to open ports in the firewall. Or you can also choose to disable these default system services.

Sigh I will try one of the many Linux variants whilst speculating why Linux never seems to make it mainstream lol.

Can anyone recommend a linux server thats low level, its only going to run bridge and nothing else, but the pc is relatively low power AMD thing a bit like a celleron nuc, 8 gigs ram.

Use google to find the one that’s right for you? Most (any?) of the big distributions provide a generic server variant and minimal installation options – but that doesn’t mean they come without integrated security features like SELinux, AppArmor or firewall.

There are probably more “server” (in the meaning of “Linux without GUI”) than desktop distributions out there. Try to make sure to get one that is still supported, it’s sometimes very easy to fall for an abandoned one. Also check the support options/resources available before you decide – for the well-known distributions this is mostly a no-brainer but for smaller, more specialized distributions this might be an issue for users with limited Linux skills.

Most important IMO is proper hardware support, especially for low-power systems. Such hardware often comes with special hardware support for various features (encryption, video, …) which allows the system to work adequately fast even when combined with a slow processor. Without proper support for the integrated hardware accelerator(s) the system might already struggle with the most basic tasks. depending on how special your hardware is, proper support is not guaranteed out-of-the-box when using general x86 64-bit distributions.

Just go with LTS Ubuntu server. It works and there is plenty of support out there.

1 Like

Yup just installed ubuntu worked straight off. My advice avoid cent lol.

2 Likes

CentOS is the freeware RedHat. They do awful things like SELinux which just breaks stuff. It is how they get code kicked back without paying developers.

Ubuntu is great for those who just want it to work.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.