Installing Roon on Vortexbox 2.5 beta

I am trying to install Roon on my Vortexbox 2.5 running Fedora Linux 2.5 Beta.

I cannot install the dependancy “CIFS-UTILS” as the sytem reports that the package is not available.

Do I still need to install this, or will the Roon installer load all the required dependencies?

Thanks

You have the case wrong … it should be sudo dnf install -y cifs-utils.

You’ll need this dependency if you use the SMB client, i.e. mount an SMB share.

Thanks, but I tried both lower and upper case I still get the following

No Package cifs-utils available
Error: Unable to find a match.

Have you executed dnf -y update? Otherwise, checkout the Vortexbox forum since you’re using a beta and the package could be missing.

Yes I have updated with dnf -y update.

I just checked again and got the message ‘dependancies resolved Nothing to do’

I habe posted about this on the Vortexbox forum, but no responses yet.

I had Roon running fine on my old Vortexbox 2.4.

Just wondering if Vortexbox includes Samba as standard … can you try something like systemctl status smbd or systemctl status nmbd to see if it is running.

Can you roll-back to a non-beta version?

Thanks. I tried as you suggested and neither smbd or nmbd services are running.

I can go back to my old Vortexbox 2.4 as it’s on another server, however I want to get Vortexbox 2.5 running with Roon on my new server.

What was the output? Is the service installed or did you get a ...service could not be found. message?

Neither of the services are installed. Service could not be found.

I have messaged the Vortexbox developer on the Vortexbox forum. I’m hoping he can put the cifs-utils package in the Vortexbox repo for me. Not holding out any hope of a rapid response though, looks like he’s not been logged in to the forum since July.

Have you tried installing cifs-utils from the Fedora repo?

Guessing here, but something like …

dnf install https://archives.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/releases/26/Server/x86_64/os/Packages/c/cifs-utils-6.7-1.fc26.x86_64.rpm
dnf clean all
dnf update
systemctl status smbd
systemctl status nmbd
systemctl start smbd
systemctl start nmbd

Thanks Martin, very helpful. I’m certainly no Linux expert, but I did think that maybe I could try and install cifs-utils from somehwere other than the vortexbox repo, but I have no idea how without breaking the server.

I will certainly give it a try, just one thing though. Vortexbox 2.5 is based on Fedora 25 so is it OK to install the package for release 26?

Thanks for your help.

Simply change the 26 to 25 in the URL.

You can download the file from here and use dnf localinstall instead: https://archives.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/releases/25/Server/x86_64/os/Packages/c/.

I tried installing from the Fedora repo, but I get the following message.

Error: nothing provides keyutils needed by cifs-utils-6.6-1.fc25.x86_64 (try to add --allowerasing to command line to erase conflicting packages)

I’m guessing here because I don’t use RedHat based distros, but think this may have something to do with repo signing, i.e. GPG check.

So try adding dnf --nogpgcheck install ....

OK. I installed keyutils from the Fedora repo in the k directory, then I was able to install cifs-utils.

However I cannot start smbd or nmbd as the services could not be found.

The Roonserver install fails as well with the message roonserver installer did not complete successfully.

I’m thinking there are some more packages that are missing from the Vortexbox 2.5 beta installation.

Logitech media server is running fine and I can stream to my Logitech Transporter, I just can’t install Roon server.

I have managed to complete the task of installing Vortexbox 2.5 beta and roon server.

I found it’s not possible to do it with a clean install of Vortexbox 2.5 from the image file. The image file install is missing most of the packages that are installed on the previous version 2.4.

It seems the Vortexbox 2.5 beta is a minimal installation of Fedora 25 and the Logitech media server.

I found I had to do a clean install of the previous version 2.4 of Vortexbox, then install cifs-utils before downloading and installing the upgrade to version 2.5 beta.

dnf install dnf-plugin-system-upgrade
dnf system-upgrade download --refresh --releasever=25
dnf system-upgrade reboot --nogpgcheck
dnf -y update
dnf clean packages

This works and as a result I was able to install Roonserver.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.