Installing Roon To An Alternate Drive (2019)

(Michael Hill) #1

Several people have asked if Roon can be installed on a drive other than the System (C: for example) Drive in Windows. The challenge, many of us have computers with a smaller SSD for the System Drive (C:) and a secondary hard drive with much larger capacity (D: if you will). The Roon database and associated files can take up many, many megabytes particularly if you have many music files). Of course it would be best if Roon allowed us to “CHOOSE!” the installation folder but here’s a possible work around.

There’s a technology built into most operating systems called Symlinks. Using a Symlink (and free utilities) you may be able to “move” the Roon installation folder to another drive with more capacity. I’ve done it myself and so far things appear to be working as expected. Please note though there’s no guarantee, and it’s not fair to expect Roon to support such an install (but maybe begging to allow us to choose the installation destination may help!).

To facilitate the process I use a Windows freeware tool called Folder Move 1.2 Free (though it is possible for technical folks to use the built in command line tools in Windows and most likely OS X to accomplish the same thing). Note you will need to run the utility as “Administrator”.

If you click on the shortcut/launcher for Roon on your desktop or the Start Menu you will see it has been installed in a folder called C:\Users\youraccount\AppData\Local\Roon\Application\ where “youraccount” is your user account Note you may need to choose in Windows Explorer View, Hidden Items to see that folder. The trick is to create a Symlink of this folder which points to a different drive and path.

So basically I setup a similar path on drive D using Windows Explorer (D:\Users\youraccount\AppData\Local) and then use the Folder Move 1.2 Free utility choosing the drive C: Roon installation path as the source and drive D: path as the destination (note let Folder Move 1.2 create the \Roon and associated folders, don’t create it ahead of time, the software reminds you) and choose Move and set Symbolic link. The software will let you know if you’ve been successful.

I know this is pretty technical, and those familiar with the command line can use the built in Symlinks functionality in Windows or OS X and move copy utilities to accomplish the same goal. As always make a backup of your system (or particularly your original Roon installation folder, or the built in library back up tools), and again, it’s probably not fair to expect Roon to support such an installation, but so far it’s working for me without problems.

1 Like
(Daniel Beyer) #2

Thanks for the information. But since this is not an officially supported option, I am moving this to the Tinkering section.