Integration of Amazon Music High Resolution

Exactly my thinking. They won’t want anyone not using their app much like Spotify. A few exceptions will be given like Sonos and Bluesound but I bet they go the Spotify/Tidal connect route before long makes it easier for them to get into as many other devices easily and maintain control of your data.

I am not sure amazon care about hardcore music listening market, as it it never seems to be satisfied.

Better off ignoring that couple of percent of the market and going for the purely integrated end of the market, where it just works is good enough.

At Amazon, the only thing that matters is what is in the best interest of Jeff Bezos’s bank account.

2 Likes

Neil that would be everything but having Amazon coming under Anti Trust action and being broken up, but even that might make him richer :wink:

He has alraedy said Amazon won’t last forever. And if it makes him richer, the sooner the better.

1 Like

To each their own with Provolone, and who am I to say how someone else “Roons” and whether they “Roon right” or “Roon wrong”… but I stream (Tidal and Qobuz) for discovery, and maybe to a lesser extent to fill in cracks in my own library. But when I add something to my library in Roon from Tidal or Qobuz, that’s me bookmarking it for future purchase. I wouldn’t “discover” Dave Matthews band. I discovered him a long time ago. Favorite bands of mine, bands that released music 20+ years ago, that I go back and relisten to regularly? I own files. They can come and they can go, from service to service, and I won’t be affected…

Also - maybe something happened when you posted this, but I’m seeing a very large chunk of his library available on both Tidal and Qobuz right now, so it must have been a short-lived transient thing? Or maybe related to geography…

2 Likes

I bought the missing albums since then. Fine. But in Germany they are not listed in Qobuz or tidal

1 Like

Add me to this request. I love Roon and am currently trying all the HD streaming services after using Amazon music exclusively for years. I still find myself gravitating back to Amazon even though the others each have their benefits. If I could use Roon and iPad with Amazon Music and get master quality through my RPi & DAC, I would be very happy.

Forget this is all about Spotify now.

3 Likes

Roon’s integration with metadata and between streaming services and my own music collection is unparalleled. However, I am not going to subscribe to both Tidal and Qobuz to find all the music I like. Amazon Music HD seems to have all that I want.

No recording is perfect. One reason I love JRiver is that is that I can equalize with plugins from Voxengo (GlissEQ and CurveEQ). They are extremely high quality. By installing the WDM driver in JRiver I can route the audio from any device or app in my computer to that driver, equalize in JRiver and send it to the ASIO driver for my PS Audio DirectStream DAC and BHK Preamp.

By using JRiver I also have access to my entire music collection simply by switching windows from Amazon HD to JRiver. It’s not the ease of Roon but it allows me to easily use Amazon HD with my own music collection and find all the tracks I ever look for with one streamer. I do miss Roon’s metadata though.

Cost-wise, I pay for only one music streamer and $25 for version 24 of JRiver. I don’t have to upgrade annually. That’s $12.50 a year for Amazon HD and $25 over however many years I want to use that version of JRiver.

Using Roon, I have the cost of Roon plus the cost of both Tidal and Qobuz to find the music I want. That’s $15 vs. at best $45. Easy access to metadata is one reason I love Roon. Knowing the history of the music and musicians adds a lot to the enjoyment of music listening. Luckily, a quick jump to Google will tell me all that I want to know.

Amazons iPhone and desktop apps are horrendous . I would never subscribe . Spotify’s app is amazing .

1 Like

Then sounds like Roon isn’t for you. Perhaps you should go on the Amazon Music forum and insist they work with Roon.

https://www.amazonforum.com/s/topic/0TO4P000000t6eCWAQ/music-hd

Good luck with that.

1 Like

You are more likely to purchase the winning ticket for the biggest Lotto jackpot ever to see Amazon allowing Roon integration, not matter how much the Roon Team would like to see integration happen.

You guys are right. No matter how influential Roon becomes it will never be Amazon. Expecting that would be chasing fool’s gold.

However, the point of my post was that I don’t need Roon and Amazon to play together. By sending any audio output from my computer to JRiver’s WDM driver, including that of Amazon Music HD, I can use JRiver as if it was Roon and use all of JRiver’s capabilities, which are considerable, with any audio app. I can also access my own ripped music collection simply by switching windows from a streamer to JRiver.

Once processed by JRiver, the app sends the output to the driver of your choice. The process does not have the elegance and seamlessness of Roon but it gets the job done in a high quality way with perhaps even more functionality.

Roon is a terrific product which finds a happy home with music listeners that can find most of their music in either Tidal or Qobuz or, if they have the money, in both. When including other streamers becomes impossible and your needs are not being met then it’s time to get creative.

It’s already on Bluesound but the integration with the Bluesound app is so bad as to make it pretty much unusable.

I know I used to have a Bluesound and said that it does , so does Sonos but they are the only ones.

I haven’t looked at this in a while and things may have changed but I have in the past got JRiver’s WDM driver working with roon. In principle roon should see the WDM driver as a device you can enable in roon like any other. If you have an old JRiver licence, that makes a useful UPnP bridge and I certainly thought I got a different sound that way. Whether it was better or not is another question.

Works good

Someone like Bezos?

Help me understand what you have in mind. In my process, JRiver does a lot of what Roon would do. The beauty of Roon is that it’s a one-program process with terrific integration of streaming music, our own ripped files and great goodies like rich metadata.

It is not Roon’s fault if Amazon does not want to play but I face the problem that to get all the streaming music I want I have to get both Tidal and Qobuz. The money is not the main thing but I do have to pay for 3 apps ongoing. JRiver is a one-time $30 payment with Amazon Music HD at $13 a month.

My process involves having open three programs: Amazon Music HD, JRiver and Wikipedia. It is certainly not an elegant solution like Roon but it is a powerful one since I can use any streaming app. The WDM driver installation in JRiver makes it possible.

I open JRiver to play my ripped collection, but also to load the WDM driver, which is set as the default in Windows audio. I open whatever streaming app meets my needs, in this case Amazon, point its output to the default WDM driver, which then sends it to JRiver for EQ and whatever else I want to do that parallels Roon functionality. JRiver then sends the output to the driver for the DAC I’m using. In my case, that is Burson ASIO or PSAudio ASIO. If I’m curious about an artist, composer or anyone involved in the track’s production I can Google or have Wikipedia at the ready.

I would much prefer to use Roon, a one app solution. However, the ability to use any streamer or EQ software supported by JRiver is a pretty powerful capability, as is getting plenty of information from Wikipedia.

Streaming services advertise the millions of tracks they offer, but there are many things neither or only one does. I like classical and Americana. Qobuz is a classical-heavy provider but it lacks many of the Americana artists I like. Amazon HD happens to feature them.

It’s about the content. We’re in it for the music and I realize only too well how impossible it is for Roon to sync up with more providers, particularly those with no interest in doing so.

I wish I could find a process where I could use Roon. I like it that much. I described what I am doing now in case you see a different process that is both convenient and reasonably economical that does involve Roon.

You mentioned that Roon can see the installed WDM driver and it can. But WDM sends the signal back to JRiver, where it was installed. Is there any way to install WDM so that it sends the musical output to Roon?