Intel NUC (i3) started running very hot with fans always on

I’ve been using ROCK on Intel NUC (i3) for about a Year now. It all worked fine till last week. Now every day it happens that all of a sudden ROCK started to blow fans full speed and running very hot. There is no post-processing enabled, so NUC should not broke a sweat here.

Is there some bug in the recent Roon version causing this? Or is my NUC misbehaving… Anyways, some ideas how to get to the bottom of this?

Try cleaning out the accumulated dust.

I would connect a keyboard & monitor to the NUC and go into the BIOS and double check the fan settings. My NUC8i3 is set for quiet mode and I never hear the fan at all (like you I’m not using any processing or upsampling).

Are you using a HDD/SSD in your NUC to store your music?

If so, check the content of your Internal Storage folder. You may have been struck by the rare bug that creates recursive copies of your folders…

Thanks for all suggestions! I would like to report back on the findings so far.

My Intel NUC stores audio files on external NAS. Last week I was rearranging things and forgot to plug in NAS. I haven’t noticed that since I was mostly using Roon to listen to Tidal music. Once I plugged NAS back and NUC was able to find it, problems seemed to disappear. Looks like absence of NAS somehow triggered this odd behavior. No overheating issues observed Yesterday and Today so far.

1 Like