Intermittent connectivity drop

My system/set-up

Roon Core Server
Roon Version 1.3 (build 234) stable (64bit)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H Socket AM2+ Dual Core 8Gb memory
Archlinux 4.11.3-1-ARCH
O/S installed on an SSD drive
Music stored locally on a 1TB Western Digital drive
Other software - netdata system monitor

RoonBridge
Raspberry PI 2 running RoPieee Kernel 4.9.31-2-SPCKFSH
HifiBerry DIGI+ PRO

iFi Nano USB3.0

M2Tech Young DAC

Roon Core Server is connected to the home broadband router and all connectivity is via ethernet cables.

I’ve recently moved over to using the iFi Nano USB3.0 into the M2Tech Young DAC via USB.
I’m using the following conversion:

What I’m experiencing at random intervals is a drop in connectivity whereby there is a brief but audible break in the music which shows up in the RoonServer log as follows:

06/22 14:26:29 Trace: [zoneplayer/raat] sync Young: realtime=11621366232379 rtt=391us offset=-3846469201us delta=-288us drift=-105514us in 1911.269851s (-55.206ppm, -198.743ms/hr)
06/22 14:26:32 Trace: [prebuffer] status 441000/441000 (100%) @ 30/218 sec
06/22 14:26:32 Warn: [raat/tcpaudiosource] send failed: unexpected partial write
06/22 14:26:32 Warn: [raat/tcpaudiosource] disconnecting + retrying
06/22 14:26:32 Debug: [raat/tcpaudiosource] disconnecting
06/22 14:26:32 Debug: [raat/tcpaudiosource] connecting to 192.168.1.80:41187
06/22 14:26:32 Debug: [raat/tcpaudiosource] connected

At one point the log showed the following error but this has only occurred once:

06/22 10:35:16 Trace: [zoneplayer/raat] Endpoint Young State Changed: Playing => Prepared
06/22 10:35:16 Trace: [transport/raatclient] [Young] SENT [9]{"request":"end_stream"}
06/22 10:35:16 Debug: [raat/tcpaudiosource] disconnecting
06/22 10:35:16 Info: [audio/env] [zoneplayer -> stream] All streams were disposed
06/22 10:35:16 Info: [audio/env] [zoneplayer -> stream -> endpoint] All streams were disposed
06/22 10:35:16 Warn: [raat/tcpaudiosource] send failed: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
06/22 10:35:16 Warn: [raat/tcpaudiosource] disconnecting + retrying
06/22 10:35:16 Info: sleep 21ms after flush

Any ideas/thoughts gratefully received :slight_smile:

Cheers
Dave

Hi @Dave_Harrison — Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us, both are very appreciated :thumbsup:

Moving forward, in regard to your network configuration/topology are there any other other devices in the chain of communication, besides the router mentioned in your post?

Roon Core Server is connected to the home broadband router and all connectivity is via ethernet cables.

If there are indeed, can you please provide me with that information as well? I want to have a complete understanding of how your devices are communicating and what tools (make/models - > routers, switches, repeaters, extenders, power line adaptors, etc) are being utilized to make those connections possible :microscope:

Lastly, our knowledge base has good documentation on what can cause audio dropouts to occur and the best approach to troubleshooting them. Can you please give the article a read and let me know what you’ve tried thus far?

-Eric

1 Like

All components connected directly to the router via ethernet cable - there are no repeaters/switches etc. in the network.

So the Roon Core Server connects via ethernet cable to the PlusnetHub and the Raspberry Pi Roon endpoint connects via ethernet cable to the same Plusnet Hub. Plusnet is the broadband service provider I use.

I’ve been trying some experiments over the past few days using a 90 minute playlist and checking the results in the RoonServer log files.

Roon Server running ArchLinux with netdata (system monitor) installed and running.
2 audio devices enabled in Roon - upsampling to 384kHz via USB into a Young DAC - 20 dropouts
1 audio devices enabled in Roon - upsampling to 384kHz via USB into a Young DAC - 15 dropouts
1 audio devices enabled in Roon - upsampling to 192kHz via USB into a Young DAC - 4 dropouts

Roon Server running ArchLinux with netdata (system monitor) installed but disabled.
1 audio devices enabled in Roon - upsampling to 192kHz via USB into the Young DAC - 1 dropout

I then tried installing ROCK to determine whether the optimized installation would help matters.

At first it appeared more stable with no reported dropouts but then over a 3 hour period there were 20 dropouts reported.

I have just had a session whereby I was playing random albums over a 2 hour 15 minute period via a HiFiBerry DIGI+ Pro upsampling to 192kHz and 32bit. This has resulted in a reported 25 dropouts.

Hi @Dave_Harrison ----- Thank you for touching base and sharing the results of the tests you’ve performed thus far. The insight is appreciated!

During these tests, have you by chance, tried without upsampling via the DSP engine in Roon? If so, were you still experiencing the same volume of dropouts?

-Eric

I’d suggest connecting your ‘Roon network’ together through a separate, unmanaged switch.
It seems to cure a lot of problems that people have when (initially) using their Router as their main switch.

1 Like

Hi @Eric

I have just run through the 90 minute playlist I use for testing and have experienced 3 dropouts - this was with upsampling disabled:

So the number of dropouts is lower but still happening.

Hi @Dave_Harrison ---- Thank you for the follow up after running the proposed test.

Based on your feedback and the results of these tests, there are two possible scenarios here which could be causing you to experience this behavior. The first being, that there is a potential performance issue with the device hosting your core. The second, which I am leaning more toward, is a bottle neck occurring somewhere in your environment (Media being delivered to the Core OR Media being delivered to the endpoint).

Moving forward, I would strongly urge you to consider trying the following:

1. See if the behavior can be reproduced with media that is stored internally on the core machine.

2. Try attaching a DAC via USB directly to your core machine.

3. Try shortening, the chain of communication between your devices.

“I’ve recently moved over to using the iFi Nano USB3.0 into the M2Tech Young DAC via USB”

Out of curiosity, before the mentioned reconfiguration cited above, were you experiencing dropouts?

-Eric