Intermittent crashing

Roon Core Machine

Windows 11 Home (64 bit) (OS build 22000.1455)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
16g RAM

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Roon is on a Windows PC connected to router via ethernet
Local music files stored on an external hard drive connected to PC
Amazon Eero mesh network

Connected Audio Devices

Wifi: Sonos network (running on Sonos’ own mesh, that is, one of the Sonos speakers is connected to router via ethernet) (four Sonos3, two Sonos1, one SonosConnect)
Cambridge Audio CXN2
Windows RealTek sound card

Number of Tracks in Library

28,000 tracks

Description of Issue

Most days, Roon crashes about 1-4 times
Crashing is intermittent and happens without any error message
I cannot see any patterns, rhyme, or reason
Crashing happens independent of output (i.e., whether I’m listning to Sonos or my PC speakers)
Not sure if this might be related: Roon almost never can drive all of my Sonos speakers at the same time without “losing control of the audio device,” even though in the Sonos app itself I can drive all my speakers without any problems

I also just uploaded my log file through your Logs Upload Server

2 Likes

Hi @Jeffrey_Bardzell,

We’re very sorry to hear about the poor performance you’re experiencing on your Windows Core, and that your first post on Roon Community is to report a support issue.

The tech support team has reviewed diagnostics from your Core briefly and has a few follow-up questions to expedite troubleshooting:

1. Does performance change at all when you use only one display instead of two? Diagnostics seem to indicate you have a second display adapter in your setup.

2. Logs show network failures attempting to queue and buffer Tidal content. Are you experiencing these crashes with streaming (Qobuz/Tidal), local content, or both?

3. The request failures also affect calls to Roon’s own servers. There are broader symptoms of network disruption that we’ll want to address.
    Are you using a VPN on this network by chance? Are any of your mesh access points on different subnets?

4. Lastly, regarding Sonos dropouts: there are both multicast failures and UPnP dropouts and precondition failures in logs that are more than likely causing Roon to lose sight of the lead router-connected Sonos speaker. Some of these are the result of bad requests from a device on the network. I’d verify that firmware is updated across your devices, and toggle multicast and UPnP in your router.
    Similarly, if you have any subnets or mDNS reflectors, these can affect the issue, so let us know.

1 Like

Thank you very much for getting back to me. Overall, I am super happy with Roon, and I have always suspected that whatever the issue I’m having is network-related. I’ll address each of your points below, in part because I am not quite sure where to start.

1. I have never tried using only one display. You are correct that I use two displays, and I have three virtual desktops on each. Roon runs on screen 2, virtual desktop 3. I did put it on the other screen and on different virtual desktops, and the problems persisted. But I have not physically unplugged one of the monitors.

2. The crashes happen with all content, streaming or local.

3. I am not using a VPN and as far as I know, I have no subnets. It’s an Eero setup, and as you probably know, my settings options are severely limited. I bought all three Eero units at the same time and set them up at the same time. I don’t have any network issues other than those connected with Roon and Sonos. (Very rarely my TV hiccups and I have to unplug it to get it back on the network. My PC, PS5, Xbox, etc. never have issues. Steam Deck does, but then it’s sort of known for that…).

4. I can’t see any multicast settings in my Eero administrative interface, such as it is. I turned off UPnP. I don’t believe I have any subnets and have no idea what an mDNS reflector is, but whatever it is, I bet it feels safe jogging at night. (I’m not a dad, but you got a dad-joke anyway.) I do keep my Sonos system on auto-update, and I just double-checked, and it says my system is up to date.

I hope this additional info helps, and if you want me to start trying stuff, let me know what it is!

Thanks!!
Jeffrey

One additional detail: Qobuz high-def files sometimes randomly quit midway (the error was something like “the file was having trouble loading”), skipping ahead to the next song.

Qobuz CD quality files stream fine.

This question has not yet been answered, and it’s running up against being closed, so I’m writing here to keep the thread open.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.