Intermittent faulty playback on KQED

Roon Core Machine

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Over the past few years, I have experienced an intermittent issue when listening to KQED: playback is sped up to the point of being unintelligible. Sometimes, the issue resolves if I stop playback and reaccess the station immediately. On other occasions, it resolves only when I try again some time later.
At least once in the past, the problem was found, if I recall correctly, to be due to a bitstream that was too low. I have not encountered this issue with other stations.
Thank you for your help!

Hi @Alan_C,

Thank you for your post. The team is certainly eager to investigate this report, but Roon only retains a certain time window of system logging both internally in reports to our servers.

Are you able to provide an approximate timestamp the next time you encounter this with a stream from KQED? We’ll pass that information to our QA team to pinpoint what went wrong in system logging - until then, this thread will remain open.

Additionally, can you please elaborate on your Roon setup:

1. How is your RoonServer machine connected to the internet, and what operating system are you using?
  2. What other network equipment is involved in your local network?
  3. Do you encounter this issue when playing to different Zones? What about the system output of your RoonServer machine, if applicable?
  4. Do you have any DSP settings applied?

Thank you!

Hi Connor,

I replied to your email yesterday, but it was returned as undeliverable. Therefore, I have copied and pasted it below.

In addition to the event of 10/12 described in yesterday’s email, I experienced another event today (10/13) at 6:46 a.m. Initial playback of KQED was very fast. When I resumed playback after stopping, playback was normal.

Thanks again for your help!

Here is the main part of yesterday’s email:

Are you able to provide an approximate timestamp the next time you encounter this with a stream from KQED? We’ll pass that information to our QA team to pinpoint what went wrong in system logging - until then, this thread will remain open.[ATC] On any given day, I generally access KQED at around 6:30 a.m. and again around noon and 6 p.m. When I accessed KQED at 5:58 p.m. today (10/12), the dialogue was very fast and high-pitched. I selected stop and the same thing happened when I chose play again. I stopped playback a second time and, when I resumed play, the dialogue was slow and low-pitched. One more cycle of stop and play resulted in playback at the correct speed. This all occurred in a minute or two.

Often, if the first playback is too fast, one or two stops solves the problem.

Additionally, can you please elaborate on your Roon setup:

1. How is your RoonServer machine connected to the internet, and what operating system are you using?[ATC] The server, a QNAP NAS, is connected via an ethernet cable to a managed Cisco switch that is connected to an Asus router. I access Roon mainly through an iPad Pro Gen 5 with the latest iOS. My PC, which I rarely use to access Roon, uses Windows 11. I have been using all of this equipment for many years, except the router, which is a couple of years old, and a Netgear cable modem, also about 2 years old.
  2. What other network equipment is involved in your local network?[ATC] Please see #1.
  3. Do you encounter this issue when playing to different Zones? What about the system output of your RoonServer machine, if applicable?[ATC] I have encountered this issue in different zones. I’m afraid I don’t understand what you mean by system output of my RoonServer machine.
  4. Do you have any DSP settings applied?[ATC] The Roon endpoints are Meridian 218’s, set up as “decoder and renderer” for MQA capabilities. I have enabled MQA core decoder. The speakers in zone 1 are Meridian DSP 6000’s; in zones 2, 3, and 4, they are analogue.

Btw, the 2 bitstreams for KQED are MP3 32kbps.

Hi @Alan_C ,
I noticed in your description that you are using a managed switch on your network. We don’t recommend that managed switches be used with Roon cores. You can read more about this here. Do you have an unmanaged switch that you can try?